Preemies

Cereal question

Hi ladies, we had a weight check in today and our little girl gained almost a pound in 2.5 weeks!!! We also talked about starting her on cereal, he said we would talk about it more next month but If she seemed ready before then he sees no problem giving it a try. I was just curious as to what type and brand your LO's did well with, I research everything and just want to be ready for when she is!!! I know all babies are different and she will ultimately let us know but I have to start somewhere! It's the little things that excite me!!!! Thanks! 
Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Cereal question

• We started with plain gerber rice cereal and he wasn't thrilled with it so I switched to the Gerber Rice with Apples, we started him at 6 months. He LOVED it, we kept him on this alternating with Gerber Oatmeal with banana which he also loved. Now that he's on solids and has fruit in the morning he's on just Gerber multi grain cereal mixed with his fruit. I feel the multi grain is just better for him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started spoon feeding BM before starting on cereal.  My pedi said it wasn't necessary, but I wanted to take baby steps b/c she was early.

TBH, I was soooo excited to start solids with her but I'll probably hold off until 6m with (phantom) baby #2.  It's a fun milestone, but so much more work than BFing/bottle feeding.

Congrats on the weight gain, that's great!! 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ashk7ashk7 member
    Thanks ladies! I am by no means in a rush to start her too soon, just something her pedi and I talked about for the next few months. She is doing just fine on her breast milk :). I am just a true planner at heart and research everything, so I will be prepared, or as prepared as I can be for whenever she's ready! That's a great idea about spoon feeding BM, just to get her used to the idea. Like I said she is showing some signs of readiness but is not there yet, so maybe in the next month or so we may try the BM on a spoon.
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageashk7:
    Thanks ladies! I am by no means in a rush to start her too soon, just something her pedi and I talked about for the next few months. She is doing just fine on her breast milk :). I am just a true planner at heart and research everything, so I will be prepared, or as prepared as I can be for whenever she's ready! That's a great idea about spoon feeding BM, just to get her used to the idea. Like I said she is showing some signs of readiness but is not there yet, so maybe in the next month or so we may try the BM on a spoon.

Look for the tongue thrust reflex - if she shoves the spoon out, then hold off and try again later.  If she doesn't, then go for it!  Cereal is mainly BM at the beginning, anyway.  

We did cereal longer than what's typical to take in account her preemie-ness.  We switched up the cereals, though, to keep it interesting. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"