Natural Birth

Natural remedies for morning sickness (mostly a rant)

I've had pretty wicked morning sickness, and since I'm keeping my pregnancy under wraps at work for another week and a half, it's been hard hiding the morning sickness.

However, it seems that whenever someone complains about their morning sickness, the first thing out of everyone's mouth is "You should go on meds." Really? No recommendations for ginger tea? No one mentions sea bands? Not even a "try sucking on a peppermint" or "eat crackers"?

Now, I know meds are required some times. I'm not denying that. I can see the point in meds when  the m/s is so bad you literally can't leave the bathroom or you're getting dehydrated. Sure, I've had to pull over on the causeway to puke, and I've gotten very creative in hiding my puking at work, but I hardly thought it was worth immediately marching into the doctor's office and pumping synthesized medications into your body. Not just that, but the medical industry is mostly a big rip-off. Why pay a ridiculous copay for pills that will probably cause more side effects than relief?

I started taking a thermos of ginger tea to work with me, sucking on peppermints, and doing my own acupressure when I feel nauseous, and it's working like a charm. I'm also eating more dairy than normal by putting homemade ice cream in my smoothies and not only does it make me puke less, but when I do puke it doesn't burn or taste horrible (TMI!). Just because you're puking or you're nauseous doesn't mean you have to go get put on drugs.

Sorry if this is annoying/doesn't belong here. I needed to rant and couldn't think of a more appropriate board.

Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

Re: Natural remedies for morning sickness (mostly a rant)

• CelynCelyn member
    I ate so much candied ginger when I pregnant with my second son that the mere suggestion of ginger made me gag for about a year afterwards.  Not surprisingly, he happily eats candied ginger by the handfuls :)
  • I hear you sister! I gut huge relief with acupuncture, herbs, hydration and rest. lots and lots of rest. I think part of the whole MS thang is our bodies signaling us to slow the heck down. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Lemonade (made from real lemons) has helped me a ton. I just juice a lemon, add honey and water and chill it overnight. I sip on it all the next day. I told my midwife and she agreed that Lemons and Pineapple are both great fruits to help with MS.
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• I also found that taking a vitamin B6 supplement helped with nausea.  I was on one for short luteal phase when ttc, and I kept it up during the first tri.  It really seemed to help. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had horrendous morning sickness my entire pregnancy (I started throwing up at 7 weeks and threw up my last time 5 minutes before DS was born.. No joke). Believe me, I tried everything possible and the only thing that actually worked was the medicine (most of the time at least!)

I think it's great for the other things people can do to get rid of MS but I'm thankful for the medicine! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"