Preemies

Question about clothing sizes

I'm not a preemie mom, so I hope you ladies don't mind me posting here!

Someone who works with my MiL (in another state) is sending me tons of clothes for my little girl who is due September 2nd. I just found out her little girl was born at 28 weeks on August 17th. 

I know all kids vary, but I was wondering if there is a rough estimate of when a preemie starts wearing 0-3 month clothes. Would it be roughly around the time they reach 40 weeks gestation, or are they still smaller?  I don't really know this woman and want to limit how many questions I ask, but I don't want to buy tons of clothes for my little girl in the wrong season if I don't need to.

Thanks lots! 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question about clothing sizes

• My son was 29 weeks and came home on his due date at 7 lb 4 oz- the size of a newborn.  He was wearing some NB clothes in NICU too.  He was out of preemie byt the time he was 37 weeks I beleive.  It depends on brand- but many 0-3 month clothes were too big when he came home- except Ralph Lauren fit.  He fit well in NB clothes when home.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kck329kck329 member

Every preemie is different just like every term baby is different. My LO wore 0-3 til she was 6 months old. You aren't going to get one straight answer on this one.

Honestly, you can ask this without even bringing up the fact that she hs a preemie. Just email her and ask "can you tell me what season each size of clothes are so I can guess which ones will work for my LO?" Then I'm sure she'll be happy to write back "I have summer sizes 0-3, fall 3-6" or whatever.

• Loading the player...
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    imageBostonKisses2:

TBH, I would ask what season the clothes are for before buying them.  There's nothing wrong with saying no/not buying the clothes if they're not going to work for you.

This. My daughter wore 0-3 from about 3 months old to 6 months old. It varies just like with a full-term baby.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• M DS born @ 31 wks is just now (4m) going into 0-3 size clothing. He was 3#11oz at birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's hard to say as they all grow at different rates, my LO was born at 35 weeks 4lbs 14oz he is now 9.5 months old and still in 6 month clothes. He went through a phase where he jumped from 3months to 6 months in like 2 weeks but has been there for a while. I'd say just take what she's offering you what you can't use pass along or donate to someone else. We donated alot of our clothes back to the NICU where our son stayed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekck329:

Every preemie is different just like every term baby is different. My LO wore 0-3 til she was 6 months old. You aren't going to get one straight answer on this one.

Honestly, you can ask this without even bringing up the fact that she hs a preemie. Just email her and ask "can you tell me what season each size of clothes are so I can guess which ones will work for my LO?" Then I'm sure she'll be happy to write back "I have summer sizes 0-3, fall 3-6" or whatever.

This, word for word. I've never heard of a preemie mom who's tip-toed around having a preemie but it's thoughtful of you to consider her feelings :) Just ask. Most preemies I know spent forever in size NB - and from there it varies greatly. Lots of prems where a larger top than bottom for a long time.  

• My DD is a little over 7lbs at five weeks and is in newborn clothes.  0-3 are still too big on her. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My twins were born at 33 weeks and are now 1 month adjusted (12 weeks chronological).  They were just measured and weighed last week and they are average for their chronological age.  They wore preemie clothes home from the NICU at 4 weeks chronological (but they were almost too big for the preemie size), wore newborn clothes for about a month, and have been in 0-3 for a couple weeks now.  They actually wore a 3 month size outfit today.  Hope this helps!
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DS is almost at his due date (next week) and is not quite 5 pounds yet. So yeah, it's different for everyone!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My guy wore preemie clothes for almost 3 months, be breezed through NB, then was in 0-3 for quite awhile.  So, it just depends. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• My son was born at 34 weeks & 3lbs. he is now 9 weeks old & 6lbs. he just started wearing newborn clothes and is swimming in them.I have a feeling my son will be in 0-3 month by the time he is 4 to 6 months.. he is still in his preemie diapers. all babies are different and it also depends on why the baby was a preemie. my son had iugr, so he was really small for his gestational age.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I found weight to be much more accurate than size.  Preemie clothes are up to 5 lbs, NB is 5-8lbs.  DD came home at 5lbs 1oz and was comfortable in Gerber NB clothes since they run a bit small  The Carter's stuff was a tad big on her, but the preemie clothes were too small.

Is she sending you all of her clothes?  Because I don't see why she would...even if her DD was born at 28w, she will probably be a similar weight as she would have been if she carried to term.  It's never a bad thing to stock up on larger clothes, unless it's totally the wrong season.  But you can always layer long sleeves under short sleeves, and you never know when you'll need a random long sleeve top, even in the middle of summer. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"