Preemies

Preterm contractions and question

Hi, I'm Beth. I'm not the mom of a preemie at this point, but I'm looking for any advice/insight you ladies may be able to offer.

Long story short: yesterday I had preterm contractions, started at 7AM and were pretty consistent through the day. I went to our closest hospital around 2PM. They did a cervical check, and I was 50% thinned, 0 dilation. They started monitoring the baby's heart rate and contractions right away. Tested my urine for a bladder infection, that came back normal, no infection. I wasn't dehydrated, I drank more than a gallon of water during the whole day. They gave me 2 doses of tributaline (the first one only lasted about 10 minutes then the contractions came back, the second seemed to stop contractions...only had one contraction after that second dose). They sent us home after the second dose seemed to be doing the trick (around 6PM). Now today, things are pretty good, had a couple contractions but very spaced out (about 1 in an hour).

Here's my concern: my mom talked to the nurse at the school she works at, and when she told her I was 50% thinned, her eyes bulged out and she said basically it's great that they were able to stop the contractions yesterday, but if I'm that much thinned out already, this baby will be here before 36 weeks. I don't think she's wrong about that since I didn't have any of the normal things (UTI or dehydration) that spark preterm contractions, it really seemed as though labor just started early for no apparent reason.

I just wanted to see if anyone on here had a similar experience that resulted in the birth of their baby prematurely? I'm trying not to get worked up over what that nurse said, but at the same time I want to find out if she has a valid point. If she does, I'd like to be as prepared as anyone could be for a preemie. Any insight or advice would be really appreciated!

Re: Preterm contractions and question

• I have no experience but just wantd to offer T&P's and support. Good Luck.

Mom to preemie b/g twins born 14 weeks early after 3 years of IF, 8 clomid cycles and 1 IVF. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageijustcantthinkrightnow:

I have no experience but just wantd to offer T&P's and support. Good Luck.

Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had contractions starting at 16 weeks. At 21 weeks I was 0cm, same at 24 weeks. At 27 weeks I was 1cm and contracting every 3-5 mins all day long. I didn't change my cervix at all after 48 hours of monitoring so they sent me home (ctx didn't even stop with turb or nifidepine but spaced out some). At 29 weeks one night my contractions picked up in intensity and I started bleeding. When I got to L&D I was 3cm and DS was born 16 hours later despite magnesium.

The answer to your question is probably no one really knows. Some of these stories end up like mine did with a preemie, but most do not. While I was dealing with my contractions, many ppl told me stories of how they contracted for months and then went on to have late babies. I never effaced until I was over 4cm dilated, so not sure if that's is more/less worrisome than dilating. 

Sounds like you need to talk to your OB more. Ask how worried they are about a preterm delivery. Ask them about bed rest or other things that might help keep delivery at bay. They know your case best. Good luck, hoping you don't end up here with us!

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • imagehaziedaze:

I had contractions starting at 16 weeks. At 21 weeks I was 0cm, same at 24 weeks. At 27 weeks I was 1cm and contracting every 3-5 mins all day long. I didn't change my cervix at all after 48 hours of monitoring so they sent me home (ctx didn't even stop with turb or nifidepine but spaced out some). At 29 weeks one night my contractions picked up in intensity and I started bleeding. When I got to L&D I was 3cm and DS was born 16 hours later despite magnesium.

The answer to your question is probably no one really knows. Some of these stories end up like mine did with a preemie, but most do not. While I was dealing with my contractions, many ppl told me stories of how they contracted for months and then went on to have late babies. I never effaced until I was over 4cm dilated, so not sure if that's is more/less worrisome than dilating. 

Sounds like you need to talk to your OB more. Ask how worried they are about a preterm delivery. Ask them about bed rest or other things that might help keep delivery at bay. They know your case best. Good luck, hoping you don't end up here with us!

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice. I really appreciate it!
  • What does your doctor say?

I had PTL with my second DD and I was sent to the hospital at 32w6d because of high bp and that's when I found out I was contracting. Like you, I got to shots of terb and they gave me a prescription of procadia to help stop the contractions. I was immediately put on bed rest (I was also 50% effaced and 1 cm dialated). I was able to hold off for almost two more weeks before my baby was born at 34w5d. 

I would see if your doctor can take you out of work and maybe request procadia to stop contractions. 

Praying that you can keep your LO cooking as long as possible. 

• First off, I wouldn't get worked up over what a nurse said especially one who wasn't even one taking care of you in the hospital.  That seems kind of irresponsible for her to say something like that to scare you.  I think you need to just listen and take the advice of your OB.

Secondly, everyone on here has preemies so your responses are going to be biased.  Try asking the same question on 3rd tri or 0-3 mo boards.  I've heard of women who go weeks being effaced and/or dialated and deliver at full term.  It sounds like your contractions and effacement warrant concern but no one can say for sure if it will lead to PTL and/or a preemie.  That's where you need to speak to your OB.  Best wishes to you and hoping you can avoid being being over here.
  • I went for a check-up at 24wks and my OB said I was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. I was sent right to the hospital to be monitored where they determined I was having contractions. I was kept in the hospital on bedrest on medicines to control the contractions and prevent labor until the babies were born at 27wks5d.

best of luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely try to get a feel from your Dr. about what s/he thinks. 

Just a tidbit though - If I were in your position, I would definitely put myself on some sort of pelvic rest.  I wouldn't be having sex or anything that might irritate my cervix or help efface.  

I had DD2 at 35w0d - she was perfectly healthy except for some jaundice.  I had apparently been walking around at 4cm 75% unknowingly.  I had what I thought were BH contractions and didn't realize they were actually dilating and effacing me.  I say that to simply to say, I am currently putting myself on pelvic rest with this one because I want to keep him in as long as possible.  I just figure it can't hurt!  Try to take it as easy as possible!  GL!

• DD1: August 2009
    • DD2: December 2010
    • DS: August 2012
    • M/C 9/2013, 12/2013 
    • DD3: October 2014 - April 2015 Miss you baby girl.
    • Current Due date:  April 14, 2016
    Musings of a Farmer's Wife
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"