Preemies

Advice and support for soon to be preemie mommy

Hello everyone,

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and my water broke last night.  So far I'm not in labor and they are hoping he will stay in for 3 more weeks.  So its seems my lo will be born early either way.  Does anyone have any words of advice or experiences they can share that may put my mind at ease?  I would really appreciate it!

TIA 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Advice and support for soon to be preemie mommy

• kck329kck329 member

Welcome to the board, I'm sorry you are joining us but this is a good place to be for support.

While you are in the hospital, ask for a consult with the Neos so you can get an idea of what to expect. Also, make sure your DH gets a tour of the NICU so he can see where your LO will be. It helps to have an idea of what your hospital policies are as well. Questions to ask: 

-vistor policy

-pumping/milk storage 

-what time are rounds? (this is your best chance to get all your LO's doctors in once place each day)

-what kind of support do they have for parents? (groups, social workers, break rooms, etc)

-what can you bring in to the NICU? (blankets, clothes, stuffed animals, etc)

Also, check out the Preemie Resource Blog (link in siggy) that the ladies on this board have put together. You will particularly want to check out the "Life in the NICU" section and maybe the "Preemie Stories" tab so you can read about other 30+ weekers. If you read our stories, keep in mind that each baby is very different so these may not be your experience. Ask lots of questions here, we are happy to help!

• My water borke at 31 weeks, I only lasted 2 full days before I began active Labor (but I had no measurable cervix when this happened). A friend I met in the NICU, her water broke at 27 weeks and she was able to keep her LO in until 31 weeks. My LO was 3lb 5oz and spent 28 days in the NICU with no real complications, she was a feeder and grower. She was only on the CPap for 1 day and had few Brady (apnea) events. I was very lucky. The friend I met there her LO spent 37 days in the NICU, his main problem was the Brady (apnea) events and weight gain. I hope this helps.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO was born at 35 weeks, my water broke and he was born three days later. He was 4lbs 14oz. We spent 2 long weeks in the NICu, he just needed to learn to eat and grow. He needed oxygen and IV the first night only and then spent the rest of the time on tube feeds until he learned how to bottle feed. It was a tough experience to go through and it helps alot to have a really strong support system. Good Luck! And hope your LO is a strong and healthy baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ruptured at 28 weeks and was able to stay pregnant till 34 weeks. Everything will be ok. I have hone through it and I know how it can be with them giving you meds and tell you what "can" happen. It can be very scary. The best thing to think about is that you have a medical team on stand by all the time and they will make sure you and your baby will be healthy! You must let your body relax and get sleep. If you need to talk one on one my email is stephaniehildenbrandt@gmail.com It helped me when talking to people. Everything will be ok and you will give birth to a healthy baby, even if LO ends up in the NICU, the meds they give you will help him develop quickly. Good luck!
  • Every day counts right now, so hang in there! Lots of ppl feel that 32 weeks is a major milestone for lung development and you're very close to that. My baby was born at 29 weeks and he has done very well. Keep us posted!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • My son was born at 34 weeks, he was 3lbs & 16". he had low fluid & severe iugr. he spent 47 days in the nicu. he had hernia surgery on his due date. totaly normal. alot of preemies get hernias. we were discharged 3 weeks ago. while in the nicu, go as often as you want. my nicu had a therapist who came and did sessions right in the babies room, it's something I would definatly suggest. also they have a social worker who really helped me out alot too. also bond with your nurses. ask for as many family meeting as possible. i wasnt able to make it to rounds in the morning, so i had a few family meetings & talked with the neonatologist & neo fellow, at least one of them daily.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I'm a soon to be preemie mom as well. I was diagnosed with severe pre-e on Monday and I've been on bed rest and meds since. They think they have everything stabilized but one blip and I'm delivering.  They said 34 weeks is the longest they'll let me go so I'm having a preemie no matter what. Since we are going through this at the same time and around the same weeks feel free to pm me. I'm whims you te best and hoping these babies stay put for a little while longer! 

Eta - Im on hospital bed rest. They sad I'm not leaving the hospital pregnant.  

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I can't fix my other post.  I'm wishing you the best.... Not whims you te best :-) 
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• The March of Dimes puts together an excellent hand out (your hospital NICU will probably have a copy) that explains all of the various machines and common preemie complications... I found it to be an exceptional, short resource. I'd start with it. My husband and I have also been reading a book titled "Preemies" by Dana Linden and others. It's available on Amazon.

My son was born at 32 weeks and 0 days... it looks like he'll get to come home around 2-3 weeks before his due date. Our hospital NICU told us that we should expect to get him home by his due date, but they try to get babies home 2 weeks earlier, if possible. Girls learn to eat (e.g., to suck, swallow and breathe) more quickly than boys, so girls often get discharged faster.

Talk to your neo about birth weights. There is a threshold birth weight after which a lot of the major complications tends to be lessened. At 32 weeks 0 days, our son was over that threshold... hopefully your baby will be, too, by the time you deliver... you should be very close to it. Best of luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"