Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

hcg levels post d&e

This may be a stupid question, but what happens to your hcg levels when you have a d&e?  Would they just go back to 0 "immediately"?  I sorta remember talking about this with my OB, but I had the procedure done on the same day as my appt with her b/c she didn't want me to turn into an emergency case.  So this detail is foggy to me.  Will they do bloodwork at my 2 week follow up?

Re: hcg levels post d&e

• Options
    imagenola78:

I didn't have a D&E, so I may not be that helpful.  But - I think it takes time for HCG levels to go down after any loss.  How long that is varies from person to person and may be dependent on when your loss occurred (or may not, others can correct me).  I did not have any additional blood work done after my loss but I believe that was because I went through a birth and they were certain that there wasn't anything left behind.  In other cases, I believe they do bloodwork to make sure that your levels are dropping appropriately. 

FWIW, I'm a little over 3 weeks out and had a negative HPT this morning. I was curious re: how far my HCG had dropped and it's now below detectable levels.  Hopefully someone who had a D&E will be able to tell you more re: when their levels returned to 0.

Thanks for your response.  I thought about POAS, but I just can't bring myself to do it. 

• Options

I'm guessing your doctor would run your bloodwork at your follow-up appointment.

I had my D&C on 5/1, then follow-up appointment on 5/18 where my hcg was 38. Ran hcg again on 5/26 and it was 8.  

My doctor said that the hcg needs to be between 0-6 to be considered negative.  I am going to do a urine pregnancy test at the lab tomorrow to double check that it's dropped under 6.  So I guess for me it's taken about 4 weeks for it to drop - probably a little different for everyone.

Hoping your levels fall quickly!  Sorry for your loss. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i posted a simialar question a little while ago (but it was about m/c in general, not specifically D&C), here is the link to the thread. https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/66165563.aspx

I think i am going to POAS tomorrow, in hopes that i am near 0. Last Friday i was in the 200s, and i dont go back for more labs until next week. 

BFP #1 4/10/12, lost at 8 weeks.
    BFP #2 EDD 4/18/13. Its a Boy!

• Options
    imagedrtarajp:

i posted a simialar question a little while ago (but it was about m/c in general, not specifically D&C), here is the link to the thread. https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/66165563.aspx

I think i am going to POAS tomorrow, in hopes that i am near 0. Last Friday i was in the 200s, and i dont go back for more labs until next week. 

Thanks!!

• Options
    They double down every few days. Your doctor may or may not want to monitor, if they dont go down like they should it could indicate fetal tissue or incomplete miscarriage.
    Said goodbye 5/30/12 @10wks. 5/18/12 hb strong, 5/26/12 no hb Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"