Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Question from a FTM

Hi Everyone,

I'm a FTM and trying to figure out diapering... I know I do not want to go the cloth diaper route, but feel pretty strongly about using biodegradable chemical free diapers...I've received lots of recommendations on which to choose.

My actual question is regarding the disposal... Do people use diaper pails and if so which one because it seems like none of the bags are biodegradable and then what would be the point?  I found one, "diaper Dekor" that has biodegradable bags but the reviews are pretty bad. If not... do people just carry them out to the trash regularly?

Thanks in advance!

Due December 4! BabyFetus Ticker image

Re: Question from a FTM

• Options

We do cloth and disposable. For the disposable we use a regular basket and repurpose used grocery bags. We probably empty it every other day. Sometimes it'll smell for an hour or so after we've changed a big poop, if it's longer than that we usually just bring it out early and 'll empty the bathroom can if the bag isn't full so i try to maximize the use of the bag.

Most grocery stores do sell biodegradable bags, in the regular trash bag section, you can certainly use on of those in most of the diaper cans i've seen at friends houses, but the bags are a little weaker so I wouldn't try to overload them.

Good luck and congratulations, I miss being in that planning stage when I was pregnant.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Thank you! I guess we'll just have to figure out what works at the time.  We have a small house so I don't want the whole thing to smell like diapers... but then again I guess that makes it easy to run it outside :)
    Due December 4! BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about biodegradable bags. Nothing breaks down in a landfill.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Wow, "nothing breaks down in a landfill" hmmm I guess nothing breaks down and could possibly get into ground water or give off methane gas. I must have just imagined that engineering class.
  • Options

imageLilyMonster2010:
    Wow, "nothing breaks down in a landfill" hmmm I guess nothing breaks down and could possibly get into ground water or give off methane gas. I must have just imagined that engineering class.

Chemicals from the trash bags can get into ground water, as can anything that penetrates the bag. If trash *does* break down, the low oxygen levels can release methane. But generally landfills are packed so tightly the oxygen level isn't high enough for microorganisms to survive and to decompose even biodegradable items. 

Maybe this explains better than I can:

https://www.greenlivingonline.com/article/truth-about-bioplastic

As Slate points out, even banana peels don't biodegrade in a landfill:

https://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/06/will_my_plastic_bag_still_be_here_in_2507.html

• Options
    I'm on the green team too, it's just the whole blanke statement that NOTHING in landfills breaks down. Which is entirely untrue, since most of the population doesn't compost. But yes, plastics don't readily break down if ever, so I don't disagree with that point.
  • Options
    And there are processes to break down items, like watering the trash and covering it was soil. And it's done in lifts (layers) to facilitate this process. And the heat is trapped inside to help continue the break down process. It's quite interesting. And there's enough methane gas produced that it can power buildings, if it's collected. Just FYI.
  • Options
    Yeah, my friend is in charge of education at our landfill and I'm aware of how it works. Even she says that items naturally biodegradable will not in the conditions of our landfill. They are more likely to mummify.
  • Options
    imageLilyMonster2010:
    I'm on the green team too, it's just the whole blanke statement that NOTHING in landfills breaks down. Which is entirely untrue, since most of the population doesn't compost. But yes, plastics don't readily break down if ever, so I don't disagree with that point.
    I think it was a figure of speech, yo. Her point remains valid, that biodegradable bags don't matter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Someone post that "More you know!" pic.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

imageLilyMonster2010:

Guess you did.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"