August 2011 Moms
Options

Food allergy/intolerance?

I've made quite a bit of DD's purees so far, although there was always something that I couldn't get so I would buy it - i.e. peaches.  How do you all feel about feeding your LO a food that they have not yet tried, but its mixed with something else?  For example, corn just made its way here recently, but I've been wanting to give her some for a while.  I did pick up butternut squash + corn, though.  Would you give your LO this if they haven't had one ingredient?

I also just introduced plain whole milk yogurt this AM (she has MSPI).  She was less than thrilled, but ate some. I should keep giving it for the next three days to see if she has an intolerance, right?  If she can't tolerate it, would I see symptoms right away or later in the day?

3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage

Re: Food allergy/intolerance?

• Options

Since she has MSPI, I'd give her a longer time to clear (at least a week) on any milk or soy so that I knew she'd had enough time to show a reaction (and so I knew what was causing the reaction). I'd ask your doctor for guidance on this one.

For other things, ultimately, it only matters if your DD is allergic.  You can give her guacamole without trying any of the base ingredients and it doesn't matter so long as she's not allergic.  However, if she does show an allergy to guac, then you have to go back and do single ingredient elimination to find the culprit.

Corn, while not highly nutritious, is often an allergen.  I've seen recommendations to wait until a year on that, but they were also older and before the most recent allergy study results.  I think one of the main reasons they say to wait on it is because it's a choking hazard.  However, purees take that out of the equation.  Squash is not a common allergy, so I'd be fine with allowing DS to try it with corn, even if he wasn't cleared on either.  If he reacted, I'd suspect corn first because of it's allergy status.   

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  Very helpful. We haven't had any reactions do far, hope it continues!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been watching the stools but haven't seen blood. Blood we saw in the past was microscopic so I couldn't see it. Stools have changed some from the dark green Neocate poop to at times a lighter green  which I have attributed to teething for a while now. Will bring one in to the GI. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"