LGBT Parenting

PCP/TTC/ATP

Updates, anyone?

Possible QOTD: what's your philosophy on TV time for your kiddo? 

Re: PCP/TTC/ATP

• School is out for summer on Friday!  Still waiting to hear about the clinic day for Owl.  Apple is a tooth factory.  Iz talks to me more!

QOTD:   Most days the kids don't watch TV because I prefer them to be outside playing but there are days where they watch TV or movies most of the day.   They watch maybe 2 hours of TV a week plus a movie. 

• tdmklmtdmklm member

The major update here is that both K and her mom apologized to me, and her mom called this morning to say she is in touch with the travel agent to figure out the cabin situation. holymeltedcheeseonastick... I wish everything didn't have to be like pulling teeth.

Still trying to figure out immigration shizz. I swear the immigration system in this country couldn't be any crazier or more random. People talk about a broken system re: illegal immigration all the time, but everyone seems to miss the point that legal immigration is just as much, if not more, of a mess.

About the last point, does anyone have contacts in the DOL? Har har. Sort of.

dramadramadramadramadramadramadramadramadrama. I can't wait for drama-less time in my life.

On a much nicer note, J has started to sing. It's the cutest thing. SO off-key! (I know it's supposed to be off-key at this point, but it cracks this musical mama up.)

On a not-so-nice note, he skinned his knee three times on the weekend. It turned into a bloody mess. Everything is, "Boy!" Meaning, "Let me do this myself." Then he runs and falls. Oy.

QOTD: He watches Sesame Street sometimes. He generally asks for it in the a.m. and the evening, and we generally do the Play With Me Sesame episodes instead of the hour-long Sesame Street ones. He doesn't ask for anything other than that, and I'm not sure he's watched anything else. (Maybe he has with the nanny, but not with us.)

• Loading the player...
  • E is on his third ear infection in about 10 weeks.  Poor baby.  We are assuming he might have to have tubes put in, so that we can be pleasantly suprised if he does not.  Anyone else have kids with tubes?  Maybe I will do another post to ask some questions.

QOTD:  we are hoping for not much TV, but we also know we like to watch some TV in the evening.  He is only 10 months and yet I notice that he is not as likely to turn toward it as much as he was when he was younger.  I think it is because I would have TV on some during the day when I was on leave.  We only get 2 hours with him after work before he goes to bed, so we might have a little TV on then, but not much.  We try to keep an eye on how much we have it on without becoming too obsessive with how much TV time any of us have.

• tdmklmtdmklm member
    madisonpeas, it's so nice to see you back. Smile
  • imagetdmklm:

Thanks....it's good to be back.  I hope your family crap is getting better or at least not getting worse.  We have some similar issues, I think.  We have a family vacation coming up in August, and of course there are lodging issues.

• imagetdmklm:

ditto Yes

Update:  Kids are doing great.  A little break and lots of time together is just what we needed. 16 days left of school for Sprout then the summer camp craziness begins! Oh, and he has his first wiggly tooth!! He is so freaking excited about that thing!

QOTD: We are very, very, minimalist on the TV.  The girls don't watch any. Sprout gets about one 20 minute show a week, though its not unusual for him to go weeks without any.

• Not much new. This weekend confirmed Ky is a a water baby! She was fearless except at the lake lol. She is also now obsessed with buffalo thanks to our trp to NE. She kept telling her sitter all about the buffalo yesterday.

QOTD: Our problem is tv is always on in our house when we are home. I have tried to switch to kid's music cds when I am home alone but it is like a background noise thing. She only recently started watching tv and the list of things she will actually watch is limited. Everything else she may watch for ten minutes but then she is up and playing. I try to limit it to one hour a day.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • The babies are seeming more awake and less like they want to go right back to sleep after eating. This is fun but I'm not sure exactly what to do with them. We have playtime in the nursery once a day (laying on the floor, reading books, playing with a music toy), and I don't know if I should just start doing that every time they seem awake, or maybe just let them hang in the Rock'n'Plays while I chat with them and do other things sometimes. I don't know. 

QOTD: Right now they don't seem to notice when the TV is on, since they're so small. We try to keep the volume low. Once they get interested we'll have it on less when they are awake, since we're trying to follow the "no screen time until 1 year" rule.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • QOTD - Jelly Bean can watch Signing Time if I'm cooking dinner or need to be in another room for a bit.  She knows how to put the disc in the DVD player, turn it all on, and get it started.  It's a bit scary actually. Tongue Tied  But she also knows how to take the disc out, match it up with it's case and put it back on it's shelf.  I don't mind her watching Signing Time because she learns a lot and uses her signs all.of.the.time. She rarely gets through an entire episode and she doesn't watch it nightly so I would say maybe throughout the week she gets 1-1.5 hours.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hlkehlke member

TTC: We're in the TWW.  Testing on Monday.

PCP: Friday to Monday is our local move to our permanent place.  We still haven't decided what to do with the second large bedroom.  It's the eventual "baby room", but we don't want it to be a creepy shrine to our baby hopes.  At first it will be storage while we put everything away.

In related news, HOLY CRAP I GET MY KITCHEN BACK.  I'm a bit excited about that.

QOTD: We'll be going for the "very minimalist" approach.  I am not a TV person at all (I watch an hour a week) but C is, so I think this might be an area of conflict.  I also want no smartphone or iPad time until 5 or so, but I might not be being realistic.  We'll also probably have something like Two does - signing or Spanish DVDs.

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • LV1979LV1979 member

TTC- Fluid sonogram today to check and make sure all is good.  Everything checks out and they are going to resubmit to insurance to try and get coverage.  Otherwise we are waiting on cycle day one so we can get started again.  We did get an increased discount since I am back in school and working less.

QOTD- We plan on limiting TV time as much as possible but acknowledge that sometimes it is easier to get things done around the house.  Our plan is no more than 30 minutes a day and more could be earned as a reward.

We had three BFN in the Fall of 2011. It is back on to some baby making come June. Swim little fellas, SWIM!!!!
  • Waiting for my period after stopping progesterone.  Feeling depressed.

TV: My wife feels pretty strongly about no screen time before 2.  I agree in theory, but am worried about how hard it will be.  We actually don't use the TV that much at all, but are crazy addicted to the internet, so I think that will be the bigger struggle.  I would like to see TV and other screen time continue to be limited to a few times per week for short periods of time after 2 as well.  Having a daycare situation with no screen time is essential to us. 

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • 2brides2brides member

4 more days of school + 1 field trip day and one half (wasted) day! WHOOO HOO. I can't believe we are going to have first graders!  Holy man (as Carter used to say before we put the kabash on that)!  I am glad we have 4.5 days off next week to give them a break between school and camp becuase I think they need it. We are going to use those days to have a staycation.

QOTD: we did start allowing the kids to watch the Signing Times videos starting at about 18m. And those were all they really watched until about 2.5y - when we started with stuff on Sprout - typically 1 show in the morning while I got ready for work and 1 show before bed. Now, they watch one 30m show (more like 20 since i fwd through the commercials) in the morning while I get ready for work. On the weekends, they do get to watch a bit more tv - perhaps an extra show in the morning and a movie one of the weekend nights.

Right now it isn't the tv we are having to monitor, it is the handheld video games that we are having to put our foot down about (they can play them in the car en route to school/home and on weekend mornings for 30m or so before L and I get up.)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • JazibelJazibel member

EV is working from home today -yippee. It's only week two and I'm starting to get a little antsy - though I'm focusing on packing and getting various personal business items taken care of before baby.  It's nice not to be home alone though.

We watch a fair amount of TV right now (which is pretty uncharacteristic of us since we both grew up with little or no TV and didn't have it most of the time living together).  We'll probably get rid of Cable/TV altogether when we move since we want as little screen time as possible.  Now controlling our obsession with our iPhones and the internet.... Not sure how that will work. 

• No big news here--- just trying to get a bunch of paperwork in order to register the girls for school, make 100 minor decisions for upstairs that are stressing me out. (It's kind of my M.O.--not be stressed about 2 new kids, but obsess over something minor like wall color.)

TV:  We have come to accept that we are going to be different parents to two children who have lived other places for 4 and eleven years than we would be for children born here.  It's sad to think how things (like this) will effect Pumpkin. They will probably watch more TV--but still limited.  My opinion is--if you were moved to a different house, with no control, you would want some things the same as your old house.  Dora is probably one of the most consistent things in their lives.  So, ok. 

Aaaandd--watching a movie while it takes me foooorrrrreeeevvver to learn to do black hair is a nice way to spend a Sat night.  I could see pizza and a movie being a regular Fri night or Sat thing. 

• TTC: I had a surprise IUI on Friday.  And by surprise I mean that when I went in for my 1st monitoring appointment of the cycle on Thursday (CD 15 -- I usually O around 19-20), I never expected my RE to call back and say, "You're surging!  Come in tomorrow."  I was feeling kind of optimistic...until the nurse came in with the sperm analysis results and the total motile count was 8.2 mill -- only a little higher than last time (7.85) and still under 10 mill which is the guaranteed minimum for CCB.  This is our new donor -- how is my luck this.freaking.bad?!  I know it only takes one sperm blah blah blah but I really needed to see some good numbers to restore my faith in the process -- and 8.2 is not a good number!  I was pretty upset and spent a good 24 hours moping.  Now, eh, I figure it will keep my expectations low and then I won't be as upset at the BFN.

QOTD: I foresee this being a problem.  Basically if my wife is at home and she's not sleeping, the TV is on.  It's on when she's cleaning, cooking, paying bills, on FB, etc.  She's not even watching shows she cares about -- she's watching syndicated crap she's seen 50 times already.  I have certain shows I like and if I'm home I'll make a point of watching them (or I'll record them), but usually if she's not home I leave the TV off.  I do NOT want my kids watching a lot of TV, but it's going to be tough to break her of the habit.  I'm internet-addicted, but since I can't pay attention to a child and read blogs at the same time, I'll probably break that one by necessity.

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"