August 2012 Moms
Options

Gerber Cloth Diapers As Burp Cloths. Which Type?

I keep forgetting to ask! I know what the ones my mother used for me when I was a baby looked like and they were FANTASTIC she always says (very thick and absorbent) but I can't find them anywhere. I'm sure in 20+ years they have changed. But there are 2 or 3 different types of the Gerber cloth diapers and I've heard some of them are bad as burp cloths and too thin and some are awesome.

STMs or FTMs who know which type is it? I don't want to get the wrong type. But I keep realizing I have no burp cloths. I think I'll need some.

I've found

Gerber Birdseye Prefold Cloth Diapers
Gerber Gauze Flatfold Cloth Diapers
Gerber Prefold Heavy Weight Cloth Diapers

... and therefore I'm confused.

Re: Gerber Cloth Diapers As Burp Cloths. Which Type?

• Options
    babyikebabyike member

For burp cloth use, we preferred the Gerber Prefold.  We've also used the gauze type ones from Gerber and those are fine as well.  But the prefolds are thicker and therefore absorb a bit more than the gauze type ones IMO.

HTH! 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    imagebabyike:

For burp cloth use, we preferred the Gerber Prefold.  We've also used the gauze type ones from Gerber and those are fine as well.  But the prefolds are thicker and therefore absorb a bit more than the gauze type ones IMO.

HTH! 

Thank you so much! :) And that's great because those are cheaper too!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    babyikebabyike member
    imagemollyxcate:
    imagebabyike:

HTH! 

Thank you so much! :) And that's great because those are cheaper too!

Glad to help!  And BTW, if you're crafty... You can easily apply cute ribbons that match your nursery decor to personalize them it you like.  Super easy, just check out Etsy for some ideas Smile 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    alitriaalitria member

Or, if you want truly thick, fluffy burp cloths, you can skip Gerber and buy some of the prefolds used for cloth diapering.  I have some Imagine brand and some Green Mountain Diapers and both are much nicer than Gerber and were available in both organic and unbleached cotton at a very reasonable price.  They're diaper service quality so they will hold up for many, many washes. Osocozy is another popular brand with CD mamas and they're available at Babies R Us and on Amazon.   

I'd never really thought about the difference before until I got some Gerber ones handed down to me and then compared them to the ones I just bought to use as actual cloth diapers.  The ones I ordered also come in tons of different sizes so you can pick and choose what you need for different stages. 

If you want to keep them absorbent as possible, you can make sure you're washing with a CD safe detergent.  Run them through the washer a few times and they'll get super soft and fluffy! 

• Options
    imagebabyike:

HTH! 

Yes

• Options
    we used the gerber prefolds and the carters child of mine prefolds. the carters one were amazing for burp cloths and we were able to find them at our walmart.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFing SAHM to 2 under 2
    DD Annelise Madison (Sept 24, 2010) ? DD2 Madalyn Elizabeth (July 11, 2012)
    Bloggin' // www.SWEETSEPT.livejournal.com
  • Options
    Grins04Grins04 member
    Ditto Gerber prefolds.  I had about 30-40 of them on hand once we realized DS was going through burp cloths like crazy.  Much more absorbent (and bigger) than regular burp cloths.  Love them. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    allardrallardr member
    Haven't used them yet, but we bought a pack of Gerber prefold cloth diapers to use as burp cloths. They seem very very thick, I"m happy we went that route over burp cloths.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"