Adoption
Options

If you're in Canada...

Whether you have adopted, or are still waiting for your little one - Share your story with me.

DH and I want to adopt sometime in the future. We have one 2 month old daughter, and will probably try to have one more biological child before trying to adopt one or two more kiddos. Undecided about whether it would be a national or international adoption.... we're really just in the first stages of considering this.

I just want to get an idea of what it's like to adopt in Canada (I'm in BC) and how long it takes, what the process is like, etc. 

I'd really appreciate getting to hear from you! Thanks so much :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you're in Canada...

• Options

We are actually just in the research stages of this ourselves - although we are in Alberta so it would be slightly different then BC I think.

From what we've found it is very hard to do a domestic adoption if you are biologically able to have children - unless you are willing to do foster/adopt or adopt an older or special needs child.  In fact, the at least one of the agencies here in Alberta won't even consider you for domestic adoption if you are biologically able to have kids.  As far as domestic goes, you would only be able to adopt within BC - as far as I understand the rules.  Inter-provincial adoption doesn't really exist here unless it's a very special circumstance.

And that's pretty much as far as I can tell you.  I have no idea how long everything takes or what because we are just in the process of talking to friends who have adopted and contacting the 2 agencies that we would be comfortable working with.  We are likely going international though so we are looking at some different options there.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    We are doing a surrogacy but also in Alberta. Hi!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"