Late Term and Child Loss
Options

*** the IRS

Normally I'm mild-mannered but I just have to get out off my chest.

Long story short: DH and I do our taxes. According to the IRS rules, we can claim Ethan so we did. DH goes down to Social Security and gets a letter from them stating that they couldn't issue Ethan a SSN (obvious reasons). We turn everything in - taxes, SS letter, Ethan's birth and death certificates.

So why in the hayle did we get a letter from the IRS stating that because Ethan didn't have a SSN, we couldn't claim him?

Insert rage face here.

My husband gets on the phone with the IRS this morning...is on hold with them for over AN HOUR....was transferred to at least three different people...he explains the situation to them with the letter and the ceritificates...and their response?

Oops, our bad. Send everything back in and we'll apply the deduction. 

I was so angry, I was almost in tears. I'm better now but man..not a good way to start off my morning.  For those on my Facebook, my status message is about this situation. But I'm happy now.

[Sorry, no epic troll faces for this one...you gotta take my word for it]

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *** the IRS

• Options
    I didn't know you could claim him. I hope it all works out in your favor.
    Momma to 2 sweet girls here on earth and a precious baby boy in heaven
  • Options
    foxxy1foxxy1 member
    Yeah, they have a rule where if he was born alive, we could claim him. It really sucks I have to claim him, though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I went through this too. We were told since she was never living, we can't claim her. Ummm, our daughter was very much living, @sshats....

I hate people.... 

• Options
    This just sucks.  I'm sorry.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Auki13Auki13 member

Yes, we claimed Annabelle too (since she had a heartbeat at birth we could claim her) but we did get a SS card for her.  The nurse who helped us at the hospital told us to apply for one so we did.  I was told we couldn't claim her without the card.  I hope it all works out this time for you, and I'm sorry you went through all this crap!  It sucks claiming them, but then it's going to suck not being able to claim her next year (not for the money but for the fact that she isn't with us). 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    pb127pb127 member
    ((((HUGS))))  I'm sorry you had to deal with that :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ? to Loss+M/PL+TTCAL+PgAL+PAL

PgAL/PAL welcome
  • Options
    foxxy1foxxy1 member

Thanks for the support, ladies.

It's just bad enough we lost our son and now we had to go through that mess. Just what a time.

• Options
    CaroleeCarolee member
    I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. 
    Mom to Eliott Alexander, born sleeping at 37 weeks on 8/13/10. Most of us only dream of angels - I held one in my arms.
    BFP #2 - EDD 2/26/12 M/C 6/28/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #3 - EDD 4/7/12 M/C 8/2/11 @ 4w2d
    Too beautiful for this earth
    BFP #4 - EDD 12/09/12, Lucille arrived 11/26/12
  • Options
    Bread09Bread09 member
    That sucks.  I'm so sorry you and DH had to deal with that. 
    TTC #1 since 4/09
    2/21/11: IVF #1 Begins and results in TWINS!
    11/4/11: The twins are born at 36w4d!
    11/5/11: We said goodbye to our sweet baby girl as she was born with multiple complications and a severe heart defect, Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Sad

That is crappy. At least you got it worked out though. Kudos to your DH for handling that for you!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"