April 2011 Moms

wwyd....long!

After lo was born, I switched jobs and went back to work part time (2-2 1/2 days a week).

Financially we are "ok" meaning we just bought a brand new SUV and are able to make the payments to have it paid off in 2-3yrs (besides the mortgage, thats our only debt), we can pay our mortgage and all our bills and put a bit away each month into savings and her college 529 plan.

When I signed on for the job at the end of 2011, I told them I needed 3 solid days, here we are 5 months later and most of the time I'm lucky to get 20 hrs/wk... I've done everything I can on my end to increase my work load.

I've been picking up "sub" work at other offices working like an independent contractor. When I went to meet with a new office for sub work, they offered me a job for 4 solid days a week. My pay would be by commission (30-33%) but if my production is low for the day, the minimum I would make is still pretty good. so even If I only made the promised base pay, I would still make 10 grand more/yr than I am now. If I made 30% commission off of the goal of production, I would be making 20+ grand more a year.

The company I'm with now has invested their time and money in me and when I signed on to the job, I had every intention of staying there for years and years. I love the work environment and ppl I work with and I've already gotten a raise and bonuses in the 5 months I've been there.

The issue: we don't live in a good part of town and we are quickly outgrowing our house. like most ppl, we owe more on our house than what its worth (we can easily make the payments now). We are trying to save like maniacs to [pay down the house and build our "dream home" within 3 years to get into a good school zone before she is ready for school. obviously the extra $$ would help out BIG time. but I feel like I would be kicking my current employer in the balls if I leave after everything they have done for me.

This is a crazy long post. any insight or advice would be great. thanks mamas!

BabyFruit Ticker}

Re: wwyd....long!

• LoCarbLoCarb member
    I would weigh the pros/cons of both including the flexibility, benefits, PTO, location, etc...  Salary is a big deal especially getting towards your goal of owning a new home. However, if the new employer is not flexible if your LO is sick then it wouldn't be worth it to me. If all is comparable, I'd screw loyalty and go for the higher paying job.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLoCarb:
    I would weigh the pros/cons of both including the flexibility, benefits, PTO, location, etc...  Salary is a big deal especially getting towards your goal of owning a new home. However, if the new employer is not flexible if your LO is sick then it wouldn't be worth it to me. If all is comparable, I'd screw loyalty and go for the higher paying job.

the only benefits of my current job is 1 wk vaycay after 1 yr. this new place has 401k, 1 wk pto after 1 yr, 2 wks after 2 years, flex spending aact, 2 sick days.

BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGrace0609:
    imagestefaniew26:

imageLoCarb:

the only benefits of my current job is 1 wk vaycay after 1 yr. this new place has 401k, 1 wk pto after 1 yr, 2 wks after 2 years, flex spending aact, 2 sick days.

I'd jump at the new job if you are ok w/ working 4 days a week.

This 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm in a similar position (sorta) as you. I graduated with my bachelors degree while pregnant and got a new job in Sept 2011 that is AMAZING. It is in line with my career goals, it's challenging, rewarding, and I make a lot more money than before.  It is also 1.5 - 2 hours away ONE way due to traffic. By the time I get home the LO is either already in bed or getting very close to it so I really don't get to see my girls much during the week.  

I've made the decision to look for work closer to home even if it means a slight pay cut because I need to be there for my family and most importantly my girls. I feel incredibly guilty because I was not very qualified for the job I have now, but they trained me and I am doing excellent. I feel like I should stay because of loyalty to my company.

Anyway - my point is that you have to do what is best for you and your child(ren) and your family. Good luck!!

075 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd be straight forward with your current employer. I had a friend in similar situation, went to employer completely humble for all they had done, ask if there was opportunity for more work. Explained her situation, mentioning out of integrity she wanted to be straight forward as she appreciated all they had done. To her surprise they matched the other offer she had been given. They were thankful she came to them first before just quitting. 

On a different side I had friend who left current job, promised the world and moon, higher pay, benefits and same hours. Nope, they were awful! She called me crying one night from out of town, she was working so much, out of town constantly to get pay they quoted for normal hours. 

With everything the grass isn't always greener so you have to make sure before. She went back to her old job, they were happy she returned. She left on very good terms, went to them first to give opportunity to match new job, they couldn't at time. When she returned they matched the salary she left for, realized just how much she did.

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"