Adoption

Frustrated with CT DCF

Lurker here, I have posted occasionally.  I just need somewhere to vent!

We first tried to start the adoption process through DCF in CT June of 2010.  They told us since we had a newborn we needed to wait a year and then start.

So April of 2011 we went to another information meeting.  We had our initial home visit in June, and started our PRIDE classes in July.  At the end of PRIDE classes, we were told the SW would be in touch with us every 2 weeks at a minimum.  We were also told that, from the date of our first meeting (April 2011) it should be 7-9 months until we were licensed.

We have heard NOTHING from our social worker since classes ended.  I send him information, I try contacting him, it gets me nowhere.  He finally responded (3 weeks later) to an email I sent April 26th of this year.  All the email said was "I need updated phone numbers for you and your husband."  The thing is, our phone numbers HAVE NOT CHANGED!  It has now been a couple weeks since I emailed him back our phone numbers, and he still hasn't called.

I'm thinking I need to contact a superior, but I really don't know who.  I am so frustrated - we have been collecting things to take in a sibling group for over a year now.  We have extra beds, clothes, toys - we have rearranged our rooms to be prepared for home visits, etc.  I know that once we are licensed it can be a while to get a match, but when you are given a timeline for licensing you'd think they could at least be somewhat NEAR that time frame.

If anyone is familiar with DCF in CT and can give me words of advice I'd appreciate it.  If not, thanks for letting me vent.

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours

Re: Frustrated with CT DCF

• Hi, I have a foster daughter who has been living with me for 8 months through CT DCF. After PRIDE classes it took about 6 months to get licensed. You have been waiting for a license for way too long! I would contact your social worker's supervisor, on their voicemail they should list who that is. If not, not sure if you have spoken with a representative from CAFAP, but they could also be a resource to you. Any questions let me know and good luck! 
  • imagemagenta173:
    Hi, I have a foster daughter who has been living with me for 8 months through CT DCF. After PRIDE classes it took about 6 months to get licensed. You have been waiting for a license for way too long! I would contact your social worker's supervisor, on their voicemail they should list who that is. If not, not sure if you have spoken with a representative from CAFAP, but they could also be a resource to you. Any questions let me know and good luck! 

We have a liason at CAFAP that helped with our PRIDE classes.  We get emails from her all the time (a few a day sometimes), yet when we email her we get no response.

I will try to get the supervisor's information.  This is so frustrating.

I should have known this CW would be a little difficult to work with when we were invited to attend PRIDE classes, yet he never actually told us where they were.  Thankfully, by some twist of fate, one of my coworkers happened to be attending the same classes and was able to give me the address!

Fred - thanks for the words of encouragement.  I cannot wait to be able to post with updates, and eventually (some day!) pictures of our new additions.

4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a lurker and I literally just stumbled upon this post. I have worked with/for DCF in CT in the past and am a SW. I may be able to give you some more information if you want to PM me. Or be able to get you some other phone numbers if we're in the same area.

GL. 

• imagecelestialnyte:

I am a lurker and I literally just stumbled upon this post. I have worked with/for DCF in CT in the past and am a SW. I may be able to give you some more information if you want to PM me. Or be able to get you some other phone numbers if we're in the same area.

GL. 

YGPM

• I've been fostering through DCF in CT for a few years now and had a very similar (infuriating!) experience getting licensed...in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if we had the same licensing working from what you describe!  But, in the end I wouldnt change a thing b/c we got the exact right sib group for us.

Sounds like pp is a great resource, but I've also gotten to know a lot of people along the way (espec in central CT) so if you want to shoot me a PM with your info, I can probably get you in touch w/ some folks who can get the ball rolling.

• CT Bride - YGPM.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"