Preemies

My premi hates sleeping in her crib or cradle

She slept so well in the incubator and crib in the NICU but now that we are home she will not sleep soundly in her cradle or crib. She sleeps really well when she is being held or in her bouncy seat, but I don't want her to get used to sleeping in the bouncy at night. She was 34 weeks I day and is now 2 1/2 weeks old. Am I crazy to worry about her night sleeping habits this early? She is super fussy between 12 p.m. and 2 a.m. We were never at the hospital in the middle of the night so I don't know if this is normal for her. The nurses never mentioned that she was fussy at night. Also she was always swaddled at the hospital but now that we are home she fights being swaddled. She likes having her arms out and kicks her little legs like crazy.  She wiggled out of a pair of pants last night! 

Alison & Britten-Married April 16, 2011 in Miami Beach Farrah Ann arrived May 4, 2012- 6 weeks early! 5 lbs 6 oz. and 19 1/4 inches Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My premi hates sleeping in her crib or cradle

• My DD never liked being swaddled and would houdini her way out of even the best NICU nurse swaddle - when we brought her home she wouldnt sleep anywhere at all except on top of DH or I for weeks - We tried everything, swing, PnP, bouncy chair, co-sleeper bassinet and crib - it wasnt until we got ourselves a Fisher Price Rock n Play Sleeper that we were able to put her down, she slept in her RnP for a while until about 2 1/2 or 3 months adjusted when she started to go into her basinett no problem.  We simply kept trying to move her from her RnP to other sleeping places until she was ok with it - I dont know if you really need to worry about her developing "bad sleeping habits" right now - just make sure shes comfortable with a full belly and a clean diaper and let her work the sleep schedule out....I would suggest you try a Rock n Play if you can - i didnt know about it until other preemie moms told me about it and it saved our sanity!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We have a Snuggabunny Rock n Play.  My daughter looks like Princess Bunny in it--so cute.  We are moving our cradle and our Snugabunny bouncer to the inlaws who live a couple of hours away--we will visiting them a lot this summer. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the rock and play sleeper suggestion.  When we brought her home from the hospital we tried for a week to get her to sleep in her PNP bassinet.  Then we bought a RNP and it is a life saver.  She now naps in her swing or crib and sleeps thru the night in her RNP.  It's the best piece of baby gear we own.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • This is exactly how LO ended up in our bed most of the time. Early on we took turns having him sleep on his chest while the other one slept. It was miserable. He was also a fan of the RnP as well. Also sometimes they are just loud and snorty in their sleep but they are actually sleeping fine!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • RnP sleeper was the only thing that got my son to sleep longer than an hr at night.  He still will not let me transition him to his crib.  He loves that darn RnP sleeper!  haha

+hpt on December 27th, 2010--miscarriage and D&C at 12 weeks--angel taken too soon but never forgotten Clomid started June 2011-- +hpt July 2, 2011--grow baby grow :) Chance Bryant born @ 31 weeks due to abruption Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"