Eco-Friendly Family
Options

How to become more EF?

I was not raised to be EF and have, over the past few years, reevaluated the way that I have always done things. We started CDing DS at 7 months of age (except nighttime b/c he leaks through every CD we've tried), I have started using reusable ziploc bags, and I recycle most of my trash and bring it to the recycling station. I know I definitely need to look towards more EF cleaning products. My DH doesn't really get this but he goes along with it since it is what I want.

Anyway, I'm wondering what other tips you have to slowly move our house/lives towards being more EF? Are there websites where I can find ratings on different "EF" products? Any tips/products you can offer would be appreciated. 

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~

Re: How to become more EF?

• Options

Natural body care

Reusable paper towels

Canvas shopping bags

Repurposing items vs throwing in garbage

Buying used items vs buying new

Homemade baby food

Organic/local eating

Skindeep database is a great website for the safety of body care items.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for all of the tips! 

imagequeenie521:

Natural body care - Can this be bought in store and, if so, do you know any brands I should look for? I'm guessing I'll probably need to dive into that skindeep website for more info on this.

Reusable paper towels - I try to use washcloths and towels when necessary and use cloth wipes for DS

Canvas shopping bags - I'm guilty here of using only plastic bags but that is because I use it to dispose of cat litter after cleaning the litter boxes.

Repurposing items vs throwing in garbage - I don't throw too much away. Anything that is still usable is donated to our local abused women's shelter or Goodwill. 

Buying used items vs buying new - I do typically buy used with a few exceptions such as cribs/carseats/etc for my son.

Homemade baby food - I really wanted to make DS's baby food when he was younger but just never seemed to find the time. Hopefully I'll manage to do it if/when I have a second LO.

Organic/local eating - now DS eats what we eat and we try to buy local when we can but the organic produce around here is pretty pricey :(
    This is definitely an area we need to improve in.

Skindeep database is a great website for the safety of body care items.... I'll definitely check this out, I would love to use products that are healthier for my skin and better for the environment at the same time.

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally make pretty much all of my own body care items.  as far as my boys, i get them baby botanicals for bathing and they use Toms for toothpaste.  If you have a whole foods near you, check out their whole body section.....tons of nice stuff there.  I make mine because buying some of that stuff can get expensive and most things only take a few cheap ingredients and are pretty easy to make.
  • Options

The Skin Deep Database is what a lot of us use to research "safe" products: https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Some you can find local, some I can only find online.

Ditto buying local/organic...especially for things like dairy, meat and the "dirty dozen" (fruits and veggies with the most pesticide residue, etc)

Also...just trying to drive less, walk more.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I made my own cleaner. I used for everything I just put water,alcohol and soap on a spry bottle,I also made my own soap for laundry I use tote bags 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There are also a lot of ways you can reduce your energy consumption around the house. 

Turn your A/C up a few degrees. Anything over 75 greatly reduces your energy use, and then just use fans to keep the house cool. Better yet, don't run your A/C and just open your windows, if weather permits.

Plug your electronics into surge protectors and/or power strips, and unplug the strip when not in use.

Making your own cleaning items is also a great thing to do. The stuff I make myself honestly works better than any product I've bought and is significantly cheaper.

If you can't afford to eat all organic, follow the dirty dozen list PP rec'd, and just try to get those organic. I would also recommend checking out local produce stands instead of supermarkets. I've found that I can get organic, locally grown produce at a stand near me for much less money than even the conventional produce at the regular grocery.

Other than that, and all that PP has said, I would say just think about all the things you commonly throw away, and think about ways you could implement reusable items to replace those things.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"