Adoption
Options

Stuck in a rut?

Anyone else ever feel like, in the middle of all this adoption stuff, their marriage began to feel like it was stuck in a rut?

Between the IVF, the adoption paperwork, the waiting to be matched, and work, it just feels like DH and I have become more roommates than anything else. Plus, we're dead on in the middle of the supposed "seven year itch" so that doesn't help.

But seriously, we are in a funk and I know I am in a funk. The nursery is done, the house to-do list is done, the yard is done....I don't have anything to focus on and neither does he, so outside of work I watch tv upstairs and he watches tv downstairs and we meet in the middle for dinner.

Advice or suggestions? (Because of work, we aren't taking any vacations any time soon, so we can't entertain that idea)

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Stuck in a rut?

• Options

How about date nights?  Make a plan to go out at least once a week.  It could be dinner and a movie, but it could also just be a walk at the park. 

We used to go to the bookstore, go out for ice cream, rent a movie, go to a concert...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

How open to ideas is he??

When we got married, we implemented "No TV Tuesdays" and we've pretty much kept it up.... we also went w/o TV during Lent and that was great. 

I find that we tend to retreat to opposite rooms to decompress too but if we make a pact to turn off the TV and/or computers, we tend to enjoy ourselves more.   DH loves playing board games so we end up playing lots of Scrabble and trivia games... but atleast keeps us together.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Silliest -- I love the NO TV Tuesdays idea.  He's always watching the tv and I'm always on the computer...that would be nice to shut it all off for a night. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    TwirpleTwirple member
    We tend to retreat to different floors when I come home from work because, in addition to his regular job, he also has an at home business that he works on in the evenings.  We come together for dinner, and then snuggle on the couch and watch TV or movies together after dinner.  Chase and I have been going for walks together recently and I will ask DH to join me every time.  I realize he's busy, so I'm not upset when he says no, but he will join in a couple of times a week.  About once a month, we will have date night and leave Chase with family so we can go to dinner or a movie.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    kekiskekis member

No technology night - unplug it all.

Ditto date night - put a bunch of ideas in a jar & pull one out

Eating dinner together is huge!

Table topics - cube of hundreds of topics, even just for quick conversations

Naked night?  ;)

Cooking or baking together - not just meals

Free stuff - find events like concerts, farmers markets, etc.

Todd & Kristin, 3.10.07

After 5.5 years of loss, heartbreak, and empty arms, our dreams were fulfilled through the beautiful, selfless gift of adoption. We are amazingly blessed!

Blog About Us | Blog About RPL/IF/Adoption

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kekiskekis member
    Now, with all of that said, DH and I need to do some of them!
    Todd & Kristin, 3.10.07

After 5.5 years of loss, heartbreak, and empty arms, our dreams were fulfilled through the beautiful, selfless gift of adoption. We are amazingly blessed!

Blog About Us | Blog About RPL/IF/Adoption

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    erinmc1erinmc1 member

I 100% relate to how you're feeling about being in a rut.  We're waiting to be matched, and it constantly feels like we're a little anxious, impatient, etc.  Now that we don't have the focus of setting up the nursery or writing our profile or anything actively involved in the process, it feels kind of taboo to bring it up, even though we're both thinking about it constantly, because talking about how anxious we are doesn't change anything.  It's the elephant in the room, and because we're saving PTO and saving money, we can't afford to do much or take a getaway to get away from it for a little while.  My hubby vegges out in front of the TV because it's a distraction, and I fly around like a crazy person working on the yard, fundraising, whatever keeps me active enough that my brain isn't working so hard.  

We take the dog to the park, make dinners together, go to the movies now and then.  We do make an effort.  I just think this is a difficult thing to go through, and it's probably pretty normal to retreat into yourselves a little bit. 

• Options

We're definitely going to try all of these things. I'm just relieved y'all seem to know how I feel. ERinmc1 - you said it. We retreat into ourselves so we don't have to talk about it, but it is the elephant in the room, that is for sure.

Thanks!!

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"