Postpartum Depression

Prozac?

So I just found out that my rx is for prozac and I don't know why but that bothers me.  I'm worried about taking it now.  Everyone else is prescribed zoloft or something else; it seems to me prozac is for severe/regular depression.  Has anyone else with PPD taken or been prescribed prozac?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Prozac?

• Don't worry - Prozac is simply the most commonly studied SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) and it has been around for a LONG time.  That being said, Zoloft is most commonly prescribed with BFing. However, PLENTY of people are on meds other than Zoloft (cause Zoloft can cause some wicked side effects) like Lexapro, and Celexa.  I personally take Celexa.  I took it when I had horrible PPD after my son was born and I know it worked for me.  I don't have PPD this time around (at least not yet!) but I wasn't willing to chance getting it, so I started Celexa about a month ago.  So far, so good. I also take some stuff at night for sleeping. I've been taking my meds regimen since my DD was born a little over 9 weeks ago. It's not my favorite thing in the world to be on meds and BF her, but I know she's fine. She eats, sleeps and is developing appropriately.  I try not to stress about it too much, and she is getting such a teeny tiny amount of any of the meds I take anyway!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm still not feeling great about it but I did drop the rx off at the pharmacy.  I guess all I can do is watch DD to make sure she doesn't show any signs of side effects.  Either that or keep trying to tough it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecottonlily84:
    I'm still not feeling great about it but I did drop the rx off at the pharmacy.  I guess all I can do is watch DD to make sure she doesn't show any signs of side effects.  Either that or keep trying to tough it out.

Definitely don't tough it out.  Trust me.  Are you seeing a therapist? I can't recommend therapy enough, both as a patient and as a therapist myself.  

• No, I don't think that would work for me.  One, I'm too busy to make appointments I don't absolutely need (I had to reschedule my gyn physical 4 times...) and I just don't feel comfortable talking to people about these kinds of things.  It took a few talks with the dr before I told him I needed some help and even then all I admitted to was being scatterbrained at work and unable to sleep.  But thanks for the advice.  =)
  • Prozac is fine ad long ad you don't breastfeed it had few side effects unlike Zoloft that can mess with your liver. I've taken Zoloft, lexapro, and Prozac for GAD. Lexapro is kinda strong. Just don't BF and take Prozac. 
  • Sounds like you carry shame for being perscribed meds. Just look at it this way.. If you were diabetic would you take insulin to balance out your blood sugar? Of course! So ..instead you are taking Prozac to help balance the seratonin (sp?). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"