Preemies

What did your preemie sleep in?

Our 33 weeker twins may be coming home this weekend. We had planned on using RNPs at night by our beds.  The Nicu is advising us not to do that. What did you use and for how long? A bassinet? A co-sleeper that goes in your bed? A big crib like co-sleeper? their crib?

I'm leaning towards buying two summer infant co-sleepers if anyone has reviews, I'd love to hear them!

Re: What did your preemie sleep in?

• Why is your NICU advising you not to? We bedshared so I'm sure they'd hate that even more ;) Otherwise we would have used the RNP - for the first couple weeks he was in a bassinette at the foot of our bed.
  • Why are they saying no RNP? 

We had him sleep in a RNP for like 8 weeks after he came home.  Then we moved him to his crib.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • That's odd that they're advising against the RNP.  I wonder what their reason is.  The RNP was the best option for us bc they needed to be elevated due to their reflux.  We used the RNP exclusively for around 6 weeks before transitioning into their cribs, and we still use the RNP for naps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We used the RNP's, I have the Summer Infant sleepers and they had issues laying flat, especially my daughter who has some reflux. She would get up in the middle of the night and scream sometimes with spit up coming out of her nose while she would hold her breath, very scary!! We got the Boppy head forms to sit behind the seat for their heads, my son's head is a little flatter in the back but this is due to sleeping on his back anyways... My daughter's head is perfectly round. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be ok with the RNP's maybe try them in the Summer infant... but if they have issues (reflux) they will have trouble sleeping flat...
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My daughter was born close to 35 weeks, and she came home close to 36 weeks gestational age.  She has been sleeping in her Snugabunny Rock n Play.  And then I wrap a blanket around her waist and legs--she looks like Princess Bunny. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • The NICU wasn't thrilled with the incline and the potential for the babies to occlude their airway since they wont be on a monitor at home.  But the incline isnt that much different from what they are put at in the NICU. 

After reading your responses, I think I will take one in to the NICU because I'm not sure they understood what a RNP is exactly. 

• My D slept in her crib at night.  We elevated the mattress for reflux precautions.  For naps, she usually slept in her swing which was the FP Lamb Swing.  She loved that thing. 
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    We started with a bassinet, but baby hated laying flat. We got a RNP after she had been home about 6 weeks, and she loved it.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• imageFryjack2:

The NICU wasn't thrilled with the incline and the potential for the babies to occlude their airway since they wont be on a monitor at home.  But the incline isnt that much different from what they are put at in the NICU. 

After reading your responses, I think I will take one in to the NICU because I'm not sure they understood what a RNP is exactly. 

Let us know what they say - I'm curious! The only bad thing I've heard about the RNP is that it can affect their head shape.............but that seems rare and if babies are left in it for a long time? I don't know, I felt mine and know what they're talking about, but we didn't have a problem. 

• DrRxDrRx member
    Adalyn has been sleeping and napping in a RnP since she came home 3 weeks ago. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • mrsV719mrsV719 member

Ty was in a RNP until like 10m/7m! He had awful reflux and this was the only place that he was comfortable. He never had an issue with his head shape. Now we bedshare (which was the plan from the beginning, but we couldn't due to the reflux). 

Let us know what the NICU says! 

• imagemrsV719:

Ty was in a RNP until like 10m/7m! He had awful reflux and this was the only place that he was comfortable. He never had an issue with his head shape. Now we bedshare (which was the plan from the beginning, but we couldn't due to the reflux). 

Let us know what the NICU says! 

Did I ever tell you that reflux is what caused us to BS? I'd never planned on it - just knew we'd be sharing a room. I had reflux from pg so badly so in order for either of us to sleep I'd prop us both in sitting positions and that's how we'd sleep. Enter bedshare :D 

• When I read the subject, I thought, "uh, footie pajamas?" LOL! We thought we'd have our baby in the RnP, but mostly he sleeps in the newborn napper part of the Pack 'n' Play. The reason is that it has a vibration function, which seems to soothe him, similar to riding in the car. They both have a similar incline so it's great for reflux. 

Soon (if his reflux keeps getting better) I hope to move him to the Arm's Reach mini co-sleeper so I can cuddle with him safely at night. 

Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • My 33 weeker refused (think crying and screaming) to sleep in his crib for his first two months.  He slept in his bouncer and then we transitioned to a borrowed bassinet, and then finally he decided that his crib looked comfy.  When I talked to his pedi about it, she said that as long as he is sleeping somewhere.  So, I'm not sure that I would worry about it too much.  Also, in the beginning the vibrate and birdy funcitons on ours was a lifesaver.  We didn't swaddle for very long, my little guy liked to try and bury his face in it (halo sleeper thing), which seemed like way more of a suffocation hazard than a blankie wrapped around his feet.

Good luck :)

• My 35 week old son slept and still sleeps in this completely ghetto contraption but it works. He has one of those infantino travel beds that sits atop our leather ottoman next to our bed. Ghetto right, right? Yes, but it works!! After about two weeks in that he began rolling to his side at night. We had one of those Fisher Price bunny rockers, but our ped suggested we not him in that since he could roll...also, when we brought him home all the hospital peda told us not to put him in anything that sat at angle for too long of a period of time...they said either until at least 37 weeks or until his gestational birth date because of preemies lack of ability to oxygenate when at an angle....like rockers, swings, bouncy seats, and even his car seat were off limits pretty much!! Good luck finding something! On another note, one of my friends that brought home her twins used the fisher price rockers...they apparently had reflux and needed the angled sleeping...her boys are 10 months and still happily using them!!
  • imagechristinaa722:
    also, when we brought him home all the hospital peda told us not to put him in anything that sat at angle for too long of a period of time...they said either until at least 37 weeks or until his gestational birth date because of preemies lack of ability to oxygenate when at an angle....like rockers, swings, bouncy seats, and even his car seat were off limits pretty much!!

Okay, I'm confused by that because the NICU had our baby in a very steeply angled crib from the first day he was in an open crib, at 33 weeks gest. age... he was in it 24/7 until he was discharged at 38 weeks and not on oxygen for most of that time. What you said makes sense, but I wonder why my NICU seemed to ignore that?? 

Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • RnP all the way.  She still sleeps in it sometimes! (and is watching tv in it right now!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"