Postpartum Depression

New here - Zoloft & BF????

Hello all - I have been a lurker for a bit, but have decided to jump in. It has been reassuring knowing I am not the only one going through tough times.

I have been feeling out of sorts for some time & after several attempts & trying to "help" myself ie. journal writing, getting outside, talking to family/friends & what nots, I finally went to a Pschyotherapist for some talk therapy...she said I basically have had a nervous breakdown & she suggested I contact my family or OB doc & get thyroid checked & if all was ok to get some antidepressants.

I contacted OB, thyroid is ok & she perscribed me with the generic version of Zoloft. I picked it up today but have not taken it. I absolutely feel like I need something to help me during this time in my life, BUT I am struggling with taking it because I am EBF my 4 month old. I dont want to stop BFing, but I also dont feel 100% comfortable with taking the Zoloft & BFing. OB obviously knows I BF & said this is what they perscribe now, but in the future that could change???? Pharmacist gave me a handout that was not helpful or reassuring.

I dont want to harm my baby now or in the long run by taking it. I am now at a crossroads as to what to do. Do I stop BFing & take it, keep BFing & hope for the best? Has anyone or does anyone take Zoloft & BF? Did you notice any effects to your baby or child when they got older?

Sorry this is so long - I am confused & not sure what to do??

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: New here - Zoloft & BF????

• I am taking 50 mg a day of Zoloft and breast feeding. My ob assured me it was safe. Less of what we put in our bodies gets to breast milk, compared to when we were pregnant and what went to the baby. I feel lots better, I was having anxiety and unable to sleep. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't address the BFing issue -- I FF because my LO wouldn't latch and pumping was making my PPD way worse. What I do know is that zoloft has made me feel like a normal human being again. I am able to get out and do things, I don't cry all the time, I love playing with my baby etc. Your mental health and well being transfer to your baby, too. Getting yourself into your best mental health state is very important. You'll enjoy being a mom much more if you follow the treatments suggested by your OB -- don't forget, they've seen ton's of women who have PPD and are good at knowing how to balance the risk/benefit analysis. If you have real concerns, maybe call your OB and speak to him/her about your concerns. GL to you! 
    + OPK July 6, 2011 IUI with anonymous donor sperm July 7, 2011 BFP July 21, 2011 Baby Girl Harper born via emergency C-section 3/22/12!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebetsykerry1:
    I Your mental health and well being transfer to your baby, too. Getting yourself into your best mental health state is very important.  

THIS.  I'm a Psychotherapist, and a PPD survivor and I cannot stress this enough. I had to quit BFing/Pumping last time since I spiraled too far and I was genuinely on meds that were deemed unsafe for BFing (unlike Zoloft which is completely fine). This time, I EBF, I take Celexa (which is not as safe as Zoloft, simply because it isn't studied as much) and I take some stuff at night for sleeping. I don't have PPD this time around (though I know I can easily get there if I don't follow my protocol) but I learned last time that you HAVE to do what you need to do, particularly in preserving your mental health for your own sake and for the sake of your LO. Taking Zoloft won't harm your baby nearly as much as not taking it could, if that makes sense.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I feel your pain, I have a scheduled c-section in a few days and already asked my doctor what the plan is if I get PPD again like I did with my 1st.  He told me their is no medication that he could put me on to treat it and breast feed, because it was unsafe.  Obviously their are other OB doctors that feel otherwise.  I guess I am going to BF and hope for the best and if it gets too bad I guess I will stop breastfeeding like last time to get better.  Glad I am not alone.   Take care, I have been there and its not a good place!
  •  I saw this just now and thought of you.  It seems like it might really help.  It looks like there is no evidence that sertraline while BF harms the baby.  Good luck!   https://www.otispregnancy.org/files/sertraline.pdf 
  • Thank you all very much for the feedback - I appreciate it. I know I need to get to a better place, I plan to look to this board for support through this journey. It is nice to have a place where we are all going through similar things.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSunshine+Luv:
    I am taking 50 mg a day of Zoloft and breast feeding. My ob assured me it was safe. Less of what we put in our bodies gets to breast milk, compared to when we were pregnant and what went to the baby. I feel lots better, I was having anxiety and unable to sleep. 
    Same for all of this.  I take 50 mg a day, I still bf.  Medications are actually more of a concern when you're pregnant compared to breastfeeding.  Many medications pass through the placenta to the baby but your body does a very good job of filtering out the breastmilk, and if any does pass through its just a amount. 
  • I wish I'd looked into the Zoloft/BF more. But at the time I felt like I had to make a quick decision! I was just pumping at that point (right before turning to work) and knew that I would not continue to pump at work since LO wasn't BFing. Anywho, slippery slope....But I do wish that I'd continued with pumping and Zoloft until there was nothing left to pump! The Zoloft made me feed kind of zombie-like. Didn't take it for long. Now I am on the generic for welbutren and an anti anxiety med. This combo seems to work for me and I've calmed down A LOT. I hope you start to feel better soon!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"