School-Aged Children

On being naked...

I am curious what everyone's beliefs and thoughts are regarding what is considered appropriate in terms of your child's age walking around in front of him/her without clothes on?  What age do you feel it is okay (if at all) to be naked in front of him/her and at what age do you feel that it begins to not be okay anymore?  Does your opinion change whether your child is a boy or a girl and whether it is mom or dad walking around?  

Re: On being naked...

• We have sons (almost 6y) who spend a lot of time in our room watching tv in the morning and hanging out in the evening. Because of that, they often see us changing. As of right now, they don't seem to notice or care. Once they are uncomfortable with it, we'll make sure to go to another room to change. I don't think it is necessarily based on age, but the comfort/discomfort level of the parents/kids.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We have never made a big deal about this in our family.  We didn't want our kids to think that there's anything "bad" or "gross" about people's bodies.

Both our kids kind of naturally started to want more privacy when they were around age 6 or 7.  So, although I don't make a big deal if one of the kids walks into my room when I'm changing, I will say, "Hey -- you like your privacy, right?  How about respecting mom's privacy?  I'll be out in a sec."  DH does the same. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure that there is a certain age where it becomes "not okay".  DS is 6 yrs old.  He sees DH and I naked fairly regularly.  I often sleep naked (TMI, sorry) and sometimes DS will crawl into bed to cuddle with me in the mornings.  He still takes the occasional shower with DH, if they are both needing one, too.

At some point, DS may decide he wants/needs more privacy when changing clothes, bathing/showering, or using the restroom and/or may become uncomfortable seeing us changing, etc.  Once that happens, we'll address it then. 

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • I tried to put my foot down to DS seeing me nakesd at 5yo, actually tried at 4 but fairly successful at 5.  While he is totally not uncomfortable with it right now there is a point at which he will not want to remember what Mommy looks like naked and as someone with an amazing memory I can tell you that I would remember that from when I was 5 and am doing him a favor.  I am going to stop it with DD when she turns 4 b/c I don't want her seeing DH naked and remembering seeing Daddy naked and honestly, I am sick of her hanging out with me when I am on the toilet!
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imageLittlejen22:
    I tried to put my foot down to DS seeing me nakesd at 5yo, actually tried at 4 but fairly successful at 5.  While he is totally not uncomfortable with it right now there is a point at which he will not want to remember what Mommy looks like naked and as someone with an amazing memory I can tell you that I would remember that from when I was 5 and am doing him a favor.  I am going to stop it with DD when she turns 4 b/c I don't want her seeing DH naked and remembering seeing Daddy naked and honestly, I am sick of her hanging out with me when I am on the toilet!

You would think that my almost 5 yr old would leave me be....nope...still wants to talk and play...sigh. 

As for when my kid will stop seeing me naked. My daughter has no problems walking in on me and asking questions. And I have no problems answering them. This is what she will look like as a mother. She wants privacy for herself while changing. Which I find hilarious. When it comes to the hubs, because she didnt grow up with him seeing without a shirt is uncomfortable. She has seen her boy cousin naked...and all his man part. She knows that's what all men have, she doesnt need to see that it can have hair or comes in different sizes Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLittlejen22:
    as someone with an amazing memory I can tell you that I would remember that from when I was 5 and am doing him a favor. 

Ha! This is so true. Maybe not at age 5, but I definitely have images burned into my brain from accidentally seeing my parents naked when I was 8 or 9, and over twenty years later I still cannot.get.them.out! 

• Our son is 5 - 6 in November - and he still sees us naked plenty. He often showers with whichever parent is also showering at that time, and we both frequently walk around the house naked. We want it not to be a weird thing for him. I know at some point, he's going to want privacy, and when he brings that up, we'll respect it. Until then, there will be nudity.
    imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"