Natural Birth

STM's... when the placenta comes out...

does it hurt? i know that the baby wont feel so good on the way out, but do you even notice the placenta once the baby is out?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STM's... when the placenta comes out...

• Didn't feel it at all!  As my CNM said it weighs about a pound and has no bones so it comes out easily.  The only part I didn't like was when they kept massaging my stomach, but it wasn't that bad.
  • Actually, I thought the placenta felt good when it came out.  I don't know why.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • No pain involved. And the placenta has taken forever to detach with both births. Still no pain though. Actually, with both births, I've had to wait forever for it to detach. And then even with me pushing (which doesn't hurt, but is slightly annoying as I want to focus on baby) it still hasn't delivered with either birth. Both times I've had to stand up to deliver it (okay, with A. I squatted).

• imagesschwege:
    Didn't feel it at all!  As my CNM said it weighs about a pound.

LOL  Mine weighted about 3.5 lbs.  My MW said it was the biggest one she had ever seen.  :b

I barely felt it OP.  I had to get up on the birth stool, but with one big push and the help of gravity it came right out.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I forget if it was my first or second, I think my first, that it took actual pushing to get it out. It wasnt really uncomfortable, but it was definitely noticeable and not super pleasant.  Didn't mind it at all with my second and third. Barely any pushing and it just slid out basically.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • erb82erb82 member
    I don't even remember the placenta coming out, I was so excited about the baby.  When the nurse massaged my uterus to help it contract, that hurt!
  • Nah, doesn't hurt at all. It kind of feels weird, and pushing it out can be uncomfortable b/c baby's already out; it doesnt feel like you should be pushing anymore (even though there are still some contractions). 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The head burned like crazy, but the placenta didn't hurt at all.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Not to scare you, because I think my situation is unusual, but my placenta would not detach. The MW and nurse massaged my belly (this felt uncomfortable, if not a bit painful!) but it wouldn't budge. To make a long story short, they had to put me under conscious sedation to remove it and I lost a fair amount of blood in the process.

But like I said, I think this is relatively rare!

• It was just warm and everything you'd imagine a giant organ of squish to feel like. But no, it didn't hurt a bit. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • no, it didn't hurt
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• I gave one mild push but I'm not sure I even needed that. No pain.Just slides out
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • ah625ah625 member
    I was pretty numb at that point due to the natural endorphins, but I second the feeling that the stomach massaging seriously sucks.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It hurt a little, but more because of the massage that the OB was doing to help it along. They really dig into your abdomen! Still, at that point you are running on such a mix of endorphins, oxytocin and fatigue that it's unlikely you'll notice much, especially since most likely at that moment, your LO will be on your chest and crying at you and all your focus will be on them.

Honestly, the actual delivery (pushing, delivering) is NOTHING compared to transition stage. The delivery is actually a relief after transition.  

• I wasn't massage for either placenta being delivered. I had cyntocin (sp?) for the first but not the second.

Neither one was painful, but it felt like a relief of some pressure after it came away. I felt more comfortable after it was out.

It just felt like a big slithery thing coming out, to me. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• It didn't hurt at all. I was more annoyed than anything else. She kept telling me to push, and all I wanted was to see DD. But, she massaged, and I pushed a couple of half-arsed attempts and she applied slight tension and out it came. I wante to see it, lol, then I wanted DD. 

• Easy-peasy! I barely remember pushing it out.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagechoppinbroccoli22:
    It was just warm and everything you'd imagine a giant organ of squish to feel like. But no, it didn't hurt a bit. :)

Exactly this!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't remember feeling it when it came out--the before part when my OB was massaging my ute was uncomfortable though.  

• JKB1986JKB1986 member
    Agree with PPs. It didn't hurt coming out but the OB pushing on my stomach did hurt!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"