Success after IF

Pulmonary Embolism/ lovenox

I am currently in the hospital with a blood clot in my lung. They say it is rare, but more likely to happen during pregnancy. Did anyone else experience this during pregnancy? I have to do lovenox injections twice a day for the remainder of the pregnancy and beyond. I am getting bruises up and down my belly from the injections :o( Any advice?
10/09 Bravelle/ Ovidrel and IUI- BFP!!! Beta #1- 16dpiui 551 Beta # 2- 18dpiui 1400 Beta #3- 20dpiui 2800 It's a boy! Aiden James William born 7/12/10 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Surprise BFP! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Pulmonary Embolism/ lovenox

• I was on lovenox once daily - then twice daily in pregnancy - never had a clot but was at risk for one.  I always iced my injection site for 30 seconds to a minute - really numbs it a lot - also - I would inject the Lovenox very, very slowly.  It's the opposite of the "rip off the band-aid" approach - in this case - you want to push that plunger SLOWLY.  Burns much less going in and should cut down on the bruising however - you are still sometimes going to end up with a giant bruise. Just the nature of Lovenox.  They DO all go away once you're done with the Lovenox.  Take care of yourself!!!!  And I hope the rest of your pregnancy is absolutely problem free!
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• I'm sorry you have the clot. I developed a clot in my leg right after the birth of my daughter. You are at a greater risk for clots during pregnancy and for about six weeks after birth. My clot lodged behind my knee and thankfully never made it to my lungs.

I've been on lovenox throughout my four pregnancies since having my daughter. I do two 40 injections per day. It's definitely a pia but since a clot has the potential to kill you, I figure it's better than the alternative. Right now my stomach is a mess, very purple, but the bruising tends to lessen the longer you do the shots.

Are they putting you on baby aspirin too? If so, you may notice more bruising.

You'll have to be off the lovenox for delivery. Some docs switch their patients to straight heparin, which can be reversed if you go into labor or need a c-section, and others will induce and have you stop the lovenox a day before. I was allowed to stop the lovenox after my six week post-partum checkup.

You'll get used to the shots, trust me. There is a check-in for ladies on lovenox on the high-risk pregnancy board.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the advice, ladies! I really appreciate it!
    10/09 Bravelle/ Ovidrel and IUI- BFP!!! Beta #1- 16dpiui 551 Beta # 2- 18dpiui 1400 Beta #3- 20dpiui 2800 It's a boy! Aiden James William born 7/12/10 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Surprise BFP! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You might want to ask if you can give it subcutaneously in your leg.  I work at a hospital and sometimes pregnant women don't want to do it in the bellies, so they do it in their legs instead. 
    IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"