Attachment Parenting

Bedsharing - sleeping on the arm?

Lurker making first post here! 

I saw something in an earlier post about bedsharing and how babies shouldn't be sleeping on the mother's arm.  I just wondered why.  Is this a SIDS think about laying flat on the back or is there some other reason?

TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

Re: Bedsharing - sleeping on the arm?

• With a baby as young as yours it could restrict their airway.
  • imagejsugrin:
    With a baby as young as yours it could restrict their airway.

Ah, the whole "chin-to-chest" thing you are supposed to watch out for in a carrier.  Gotcha.  Do you know what age they grow out of that? 

• Loading the player...
  • I was wondering about this too. DS is calmest sleeping on his side with his head propped on my arm. I put my forearm between us so he can't roll forward into me. I hope it's reasonably safe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJFH2010:
    I was wondering about this too. DS is calmest sleeping on his side with his head propped on my arm. I put my forearm between us so he can't roll forward into me. I hope it's reasonably safe.

Yeah, I do the side position with my DS, too.  He's not on his back, so his chin doesn't go to his chest.  I also position him "little spoon" style so he is facing away from me and a little bit up (so his face doesn't go into me or the bed).  We alway wake in the same position.  I was thinking I was being safe in terms of position.   

• glad someone asked i saw the same thing.

i have lo on her side too. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• DS slept on my arm because I could prop him up a little and it helped his reflux.  I tried to keep my arm more under his neck than his head though so we didn't really have any problems.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP 02/04/2011;EDD 10/14/2011;Induced due to pre-e 09/07/2011;Jack born 09/08/2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image
  • imageLoolaide:
    DS sleeps on his side too.  He tends to use my breast as a pillow ... He started this bc he would only fall asleep nursing at first, but then started sometimes pulling off and immediately moving to use it as a pillow.

LO uses my breast as a pillow, too- he sleeps snuggled up with it with his arms wrapped around it.    It's cute.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"