Natural Birth
Options

Anyone with elevate BP try Brewer diet?

At my appointment on Tuesday, my BP was 145/77. I had PIH during the last 6 weeks of my first pg.  My doula sent me an article about the Brewer diet, and I was curious if anyone has had success with it. I'm going to a chiropractor twice a week, too. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone with elevate BP try Brewer diet?

• Options
    What is the brewer diet? I am doing high protein (60-80 grams for 1-2 tri, 80-100 grams for 3 tri) and my BP has stayed super low. I heard high protein helps combat PIH.
  • Options

That's the diet the Bradley classes follow and they say it helps preven PIH.   I'm not strict about following all the various foods, I don't particularly care for eggs, but I do try and get 80 to 100 grams of protein in.   I had decent blood pressure with this pregnancy and my last.   I also had very little swelling until the week I delivered and that swelling was pretty minimal.   At 35 weeks this time I haven't had issues with swelling yet, even though we're getting up into 80's and 90's in Texas.  It can't hurt to try is my opinion.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had elevated BP with my first and I did a high protein diet (80 plus grams of protein a day) and it brought my BP down in two weeks.   With my second I started it at the beginning of the 2nd trimester and my BP was perfect my whole pregnancy.

I didn't follow Brewer specifically...the protein in this case is the most important part.

GL 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    I did not try the Brewer diet specifically, but a high protein diet all the way through. I have also gotten adjustments and massage each week. My BP stayed great until I began having high BPs last Thursday. I now have pre-eclampsia and am on hospital bedrest until baby can be delivered. It sucks! However, my midwife and I were talking about how my diet and good habits probably allowed me to get this far without developing the disease, which is rare for a third time mom. So it does not hurt to do all you can to control the BP.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I guess I should have said high protein instead of Brewer. I wasn't planning on following the diet to a T, but just focusing on getting more protein. It suggests having a high protein snack every hour--that seems like a lot of eating, even if it is a cheese stick, handful of nuts, or some yogurt!  Just curious how it worked out for others!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

A high protein  (balanced) diet is essentially the brewer diet

I didn't follow it to a "T" but I did follow a high protein diet 

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    FWIW, I followed the Brewer diet through my pregnancy.  I never had a problem with high BP.  If I were to get pregnant again I would follow the Brewer diet again. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The Brewer diet is great, but you need to remember that it is a 3-legged approach

1. adequate protein

2. salt to taste

3. no dieuretics

All three are necessary to properly expand your blood volume and keep you healthy during pregnancy.  Your blood volume needs to nearly DOUBLE during pregnancy.

DS1 6/07
    DS2 (born at home) 7/09
    DD1 (born at home) 1/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"