Health & Exercise

What was your experience with exercise postpartum?

I'm a FTM, and I've continued to workout throughout my pregnancy (doing crossfit) about 5x per week.  As I near the end, I'm wondering what to expect as far as getting back to working out after I deliver.  I don't expect to need a c-section, but realize it may become necessary and would be a much longer recovery. 

What was your experience?  What were you able to do and after how long?  Did you have issues with abdominal separation?  TIA!

Re: What was your experience with exercise postpartum?

• I'm a runner, so my main exercise during pregnancy was running (5 days a week) and cross training one day a week.  I did this until I was in the hospital for an induction at over 41 weeks.  I didn't expect to have a c-section, but I did.  I started walking as soon as I got home from the hospital and walked further each day and added other things like abs, toning, etc., and by 5 weeks pp I was able to run again.  By 3 months pp, I was really back to what felt like regular and started training for races again.  I did not have any issues with abdominal separation. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was taking walks around 3.5-4 weeks, running at 5 & at CF at 7 I think. BTW, I read a few blog posts and I wish I would've found your blog sooner! I'm a follower now.

ETA: I had no issues with abdominal separation & had a vaginal delivery with minimal tearing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I exercised regularly including planks, spin, swimming, yoga, walking and weights until 33 weeks when I was put on bedrest. I had a vaginal delivery and started walking and planks almost immediately. I lost a lot of fitness while laying around for 7 weeks before delivery, but thankfully my abs have basically bounced right back, no separation, and my stomach was huge. I resumed spin at 7 weeks p.p. and felt totally healed.

I truly beleive being active before and during pregnancy made a huge difference in how quickly I bounced back. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"