Pre-School and Daycare

Chapter Books

Who is reading their DC chapter books?  I think DD is probably ready for those now, but I have no idea which books to start with.  Any recs?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chapter Books

• My kids are 4 and almost 6 and we are reading some chapter books.  We are reading the Rainbow Fairies books (there are tons and tons of these - they are very basic).  WE are also reading the Judy Moody books which are a little longer and geared for a little older kids (I think the book lists age 7 or so) but my kids love it and have seen the movie that was out last summer I think.  I have heard a ton about the Tree House serious as well but we have not read that one yet.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • We started with The Magic Tree House series and the boys love them.  I decided to change it up after 26 of the Tree House books so we started The Mouse and the Motorcycle last night.  I remember loving that book when my teacher read it to the class when I was little. 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • imageluvmagoldn:
    We started with The Magic Tree House series and the boys love them.  I decided to change it up after 26 of the Tree House books so we started The Mouse and the Motorcycle last night.  I remember loving that book when my teacher read it to the class when I was little. 
    I read DS The Mouse and the Motorcycle when he was about 2.5. He ADORES the Magic Treehouse series. We are on book 23 right now and plowing through fast. He also enjoys the Junie B Jones books. Charlottes Web has some themes I am not ready to address yet.
  • I started to read my kids chapter books when they were in preschool.  It really has a positive impact on their reading readiness to read both picture books AND longer, more complex stories.  Here are some of our faves, divided into categories from easiest to most challenging.  I kind of worked my kids up to "real" chapter books through these categories:

Barely-chapter-books -- these still have pictures and are divided into chapters but are still pretty short and simple.  These are in the 50-75 page range with large print.

Fire Cat, by Esther Averill (and other books about Pickles the Fire Cat)

Frog and Toad, by Arnold Lobel

Ellen's Lion & Harold and the Purple Crayon, by Crockett Johnson

Catwings, by Ursula LeGuin

Little Bear, by Maurice Sendak

Mouse Soup, by Arnold Lobel 

Books with episodic chapters -- each chapter is nearly a self-contained story.  Little longer than the category above, in the 150-page range 

Toys Go Out, by Emily Jenkins

Toys Dance Party, by Emily Jenkins 

Edward, Hoppy & Joe, by Robert Lawson

Just So Stories, by Rudyard Kipling

"Real" chapter books -- an older kid would get these from the school library, but they're still kid-friendly.  150-300 pages.

The Search For Delicious, by Natalie Babbitt

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of N.I.M.H., by Robert O'Brien

Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White (a tear-jerker! Maybe best for kids 5 and up!)

The Odyssey, translated and edited by Mary Pope Osbourne

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl (the satire here is probably over many preschooler's heads)

Beezus and Ramona, by Beverly Cleary

Ralph the Motorcycle Mouse, by Beverly Cleary

Socks, by Beverly Cleary

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I read chapter books to my kindergarten class.  They love Magic Tree House.  We also read the A-Z Mysteries, American Girl classics, and Jigsaw Jones
  • I started reading chapter books to my DD and DS starting when they were about 3.

Some of their faves have been:

Rainbow Fairies
    Magic Treehouse
    Ramona books
    The Magician's Boy
    Roscoe Riley Rules
    Cobble Street Cousins series
    Flat Stanley
    Ivy and Bean (they can be a bit sassy)
    Sugar Plum Ballerinas
    Lost in the Snow

We're reading Where the Mountain Meets the Moon right now and I'm looking forward to reading The Little House books and Charlotte's Web.  DD has been asking about the Daisy Dawson series too, but we haven't read any of them.

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • All great suggestions - saving for later!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"