Pre-School and Daycare

4 year old party at park in June - activities?

We are planning on having DS's party at a park in June - in Texas - and it will be hot.  I was thinking of getting some water squirt things (not guns) that the kids can play with and will double as a party favor.  The kids can also go to a little wading area if the parents are okay with that.  And there are a ton of ducks to feed so we will have purchased bread and will put that in little baggies for all the kids too - so each one has the same number of slices, etc.  And I was thinking of putting them in reusable sandwich bags so that's part of the party favor as well?  I am sure I can find a good deal on Etsy? 

What games should we plan or just let them play at will?  It will be hot, but I want options for parents that don't want their kids to get wet.  I'm thinking of having the part from 11-1 so the kids can play for awhile and we can get burgers/hot dogs on the grill, then eat, do cake and ice cream and then do presents.  Should I do 10-1 or 11-2 to allow for time?  It will be hot, really hot, and I don't want it to get too long, plus there are younger ones so naps might be necessary.  The party will be on a Sunday but that's the only option as some family is from out of town and will already be in town for a wedding shower the day before. 

Suggestions would be great, we've done parties before but at like ChuckECheese, etc. where planning wasn't required.  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 4 year old party at park in June - activities?

• If the party is at a park I don't think you really need additional activities.  There should be plenty to entertain the kids already there.  We did go to one party at a park where they put out long sheets of butcher paper on picnic tables and had crayons, finger paint, etc. and the kids could sit and do art.  I think 11-1 sounds like a good time, and it's not a big deal if the party runs over a bit.
  • For 4 year olds, I would not plan more than 2 hours total for the party.  I am assuming this is a park with normal playground things and  then the wading pool - if that is the case, I would not plan games.  If you want other options, bring some balls, or basic games that can just be there for kids if they want but honestly, the wading pool and play ground stuff is plenty at this age along with lunch and cake.  Maybe some water balloons to toss but nothing else.  I wouldn't necessarily even plan any formal games - the kids just like to play and do their thing.  At age 4, my kids both still had quiet time starting at around 1 so for me 11-1 would be the latest I would do and would actually prefer 10-12 given the heat.  If you do 10-12, the kids can play for an hour and then have lunch at 11 or 11:15 and do lunch, gifts and then cake and then the kids can play more until they leave.  If you do 11-1, I would feel like you need to start eating right away as I would not want lunch to start later than 11:30.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagezoe_cat:
    If the party is at a park I don't think you really need additional activities.  There should be plenty to entertain the kids already there.  We did go to one party at a park where they put out long sheets of butcher paper on picnic tables and had crayons, finger paint, etc. and the kids could sit and do art.  I think 11-1 sounds like a good time, and it's not a big deal if the party runs over a bit.

I'm not sure if the pavilion will be reserved after our party so we likely need to load up and leave within our allotted time just in case.  It is a very popular park! 

• imagejlw2505:
    For 4 year olds, I would not plan more than 2 hours total for the party.  I am assuming this is a park with normal playground things and  then the wading pool - if that is the case, I would not plan games.  If you want other options, bring some balls, or basic games that can just be there for kids if they want but honestly, the wading pool and play ground stuff is plenty at this age along with lunch and cake.  Maybe some water balloons to toss but nothing else.  I wouldn't necessarily even plan any formal games - the kids just like to play and do their thing.  At age 4, my kids both still had quiet time starting at around 1 so for me 11-1 would be the latest I would do and would actually prefer 10-12 given the heat.  If you do 10-12, the kids can play for an hour and then have lunch at 11 or 11:15 and do lunch, gifts and then cake and then the kids can play more until they leave.  If you do 11-1, I would feel like you need to start eating right away as I would not want lunch to start later than 11:30.

While there are playground equipment options, none are close to our pavilion and I prefer it that way.  It's a very popular park and the playgrounds are rather close to one another so it is easy to lose track of kids so the site we are renting is off away from the main areas, and is closer to where the duck feeding and water options are.  And a 10-12 sounds good, especially due to the heat option.

• imagecmeon_the_water:

Don't do bread- it's actually very bad for the birds. You can buy duck feed or cracked corn very inexpensively, and put them in paper cups instead of baggies (you will certainly lose a few- and the paper cups are much better for the environment and wildlife).

I'd keep the party short that time of year, and I do think just a few hours is plenty. Provide bubbles, beach balls, frisbees, and if you have a water source, definitely some water games. 

You should either have a shaded pavilion or some other source of shade, and if you have electric, bring a fan (or two!). It will make a huge difference.

Bubbles are a good idea, hadn't thought of those.  Also, there is a train and we will be semi close to the depot station so we thought of buying all the kids tickets and doing a big train ride but I need to walk the area first to see how convenient it would be for parents.  I don't want it to be a total PITA for them, if that's the case I'd rather just have other fun stuff that we won't have to "travel" for even though it's walking distance.  The kids will range in age from 4 months, to 13 years old.  They are cousins, on both my side and h's side.  There will be 16 kids invited. 

Another question - when you have a large age range like we will, what do you do for favors? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"