Baby Names
Options

Chandler?

What is the first thing you think of when you hear/see the name Chandler Bean? and if you are thinking of what most people think of, would this stop you from using this name?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chandler?

• Options
    only  think i associate the name with it Bing
  • Options
    Most definitely Chandler Bing from Friends. Yes, it would stop me from using the name. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Chandler is one of my favorites. It was a top 3 on our boy's list before we found out we were having a girl.

What would most people think of? 

• Options
    I think of Friends and I didn't even watch the show.  I also see "chandelier" when I glance at the name.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    Friends. It's kinda "stuffy" IMO
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely think of "Friends", and yes it would stop me from using it..
    DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Options
    I think Friends, not sure if it would stop me . . .
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Oh.My.God ... Chand-ler BING!

I immediately hear Janice saying it. 

I'm not a fan of the name, but if I were, the "Friends" reference wouldn't keep me from using it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageP&E2009:
    Most definitely Chandler Bing from Friends. Yes, it would stop me from using the name. 

This exactly. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I hear Chandler Bing, not Chandler Bean. Please pick something else. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageScout2005:
    MISS Chanandaler Bong

Ha!   This was my first thought, too! 

• Options

I really like the name Chandler. I think there's an episode in Friends when one of the characters says something like "Chandler -- what is that? It's like chandelier but not!" This was my first impression of the name when I first saw Friends, but over time I have grown to really like the name. 

However, Bean would be a horrible middle name choice since the Friends character's last name was Bing.  

• Options
    Sounds like Chandler Bing. And while no child born today would make the association, most parents would if they were familiar with the show. Chandler is a name that is pretty unique to that show.
  • Options
    Mrs. Chanandler Bong

• Options

Chandler Bean? Absolutely I would not use it. When I saw the title of this post I was thinking "Hmm...too 'Friends'." But add Bean to it and...well, yeah.

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    Chandler from Friends, and no, it wouldn't stop me.

• Options
    I do think of Friends, but that would not stop me... in fact, it is on our short list, but for a girl.  Like pp, I doubt kiddos born today are going to make the association...probably their parents, but that happens with most trends.

Me – 33 (no diagnosis), DH – 41 (MFI)

IVF #1/ICSI 2008 – 22 ER, 21 F, Day 3 transfer (8A and 8B) - BFP, 3 Frosties

Surprise BFP 2010

Surprise BFP 2011

Shipped frosties from TX to VA in 2012

FET #1 May 2013, single blast – BFN

FET #2 August 2013 2 blasts – BFN

IVF #2/ICSI/AH Jan 2014 – 8 ER, 7M, 6 F Day 3 transfer (grade 2 & 3), no frosties - BFP!

• Options
    imageKearaD:

I really like the name Chandler. I think there's an episode in Friends when one of the characters says something like "Chandler -- what is that? It's like chandelier but not!" This was my first impression of the name when I first saw Friends, but over time I have grown to really like the name. 

However, Bean would be a horrible middle name choice since the Friends character's last name was Bing.  

Bean is my last name Embarrassed

• Options
    imagepawstech09:
    imageKearaD:

In that case, i'd skip it. Chandler Bing is famous.  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imagekacelle:
    I think of Friends and I didn't even watch the show.  I also see "chandelier" when I glance at the name.

This. 

Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• Options
    imageSarahPLiz:
    imagepawstech09:
    imageKearaD:

In that case, i'd skip it. Chandler Bing is famous.  

I agree.  It sounds way too close to me.  I first think of Friends but I also live in the Phoenix area where we have the city Chandler. 

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    I've never been a fan of Friends so I'd never in a billion years think of him, but clearly, I'm in the minority. I really like the name Chandler.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    With Bean, yes I think Bing as well. But in everyday use, Chandler doesn't bring Friends to mind. I know 2 Chandlers, a girl and a boy, so that is who I think of. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If I loved the name, I wouldn't let the fact that a fictional pop character shares the same name sway me.  The only thing I would say is; would you get crazy annoyed at everybody asking you if you named him after the character?  If you can let that roll off your back, go for it.  It's not as though it's a made-up or "you-neek" name.
  • Options
  • Options

imageCityBee:
    Chanandler Bong

Ha! 

My pregnancy blog: Great Texpectations BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I love the name Chandler.  I even like it for a girl.  Didn't Phoebe's bro name one of the girls Chandler?  Anyway, I'd definitely still use it, but I'd come up with a different middle name. 
  • Options
    I like Chandler, but I do think Bing. I love Chanandeler Bong...
  • Options

imageCityBee:
    Chanandler Bong

LOL Just posted this. 

• Options

imageCityBee:
    Chanandler Bong

LOL! That's what I thought before I even opened the post. Stick out tongue

• Options

imageCityBee:
    Chanandler Bong

Yes Yes, most definitely! :)

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With Bean being your last name, I wouldn't use this combination.

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Chandler Bean is definitely a no-go IMO. I love Chandler but the Bean is way too much like Bing.
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options
    I don't even need the "Bean/Bing" association to associate this name with Friends. Sorry. :(
  • Options

imagezaramarie81:
    I don't even need the "Bean/Bing" association to associate this name with Friends. Sorry. :(

This! I have only ever heard this name on Friends, so I would very much associate it with the show, even without hearing "Bean" for the last name. I actually like the name Rachel and won't use it because our last name is VERY close to "Green", and I think of Friends when I put Rachel with our last name.

With an uncommon first name that is very closely associated with a once megapopular TV show, combined with a similar last name, you will get LOTS of people asking you whether you named him after the character. Like pp said, kids his age won't care, and I don't think naming him Chandler would have any negative effect on him, but you have to decide how annoyed you will be by the adults!

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"