Adoption

hello all renters!! (long)

Good morning,

I have posted here a few times as DH and I have a son who is soon to be 18 who we adopted in 2009. This is a youngman who grew up in the same neighborhood as I so when we took him in I already knew him.I am 25 DH is 29.

We started TTC in 2008. We tried on our own for about 2 years since we were given the diagnosis of unexplained. In 2011 I got great insurance that covered an RE at 100% so we started looking in to getting answers. Well here it is 2012 and 3 rounds of IVF we still have not had a bio child.

Well my DH wanted to move on to adoption again after the first failed IVF. I on the other hand wanted to exhaust all benefits prior. So here we are

We would like to adopt an infant however we know private adoptions are costly and we have chosen not to foster to aodpt because we know those children could leav at anytime and we dont want to have emotionally handle that.

So we have decided to open for adoption of ages 0-6 any race and we are even open to sibling groups.

Here is were the problem lies. We rent a huge 3 bedroom apartment. Our third room would be our future child's room. Well I am not certain our apartment would pass a home inspection. I know three of our windows do not have screens in them. Dh said we should have our inspection and than have the list handed to our landlord. But what if he want fix the problems?

Do any of you rent and run into your landlord not helping with things that came up on home inspection?

Re: hello all renters!! (long)

• We are renters too...our house was built in the 1950s, so there are definitely some things that need to be updated for safety reasons.  We asked our landlord to address the most pressing things (that are generally unsafe for everyone), but we haven't asked about more specific areas that would be deemed unsafe for children. 

I'm interested to read other responses. Thanks for posting!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are chronic renters thanks to the military.  Our landlord was great when we adopted DD.  We talked to him about the home inspection before it happened and told him what they would be looking for.  We all decided that things like gates, safety latches, fire extinguishers, etc. would be our responsibility, and anything structural would be his responsibility.  Thankfully nothing was written up, but we would have definitely asked him to fix anything if needed.

If I were you, I would bring this stuff up with your landlord before the home inspection and give him the opportunity to fix it.  You'll save yourselves the pain of a known reinspection, and your landlord will probably be more receptive to helping before it becomes an issue.  If the landlord gives you trouble, pull out your lease and read through it.  Most leases require the landlord to keep the house safe and in good condition.  He might need a little reminder of that information.  I hope you can work it out without much trouble!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicbr>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"