Pre-School and Daycare

pooping pants regression..need help!

DS was fully potty trained at a little over 3 years old. He had the tendency to hold it in and not poop for 3-4 days, so we started giving him miralax every other day. That was last year.  That helps make him more regular, but in the past month he has had many poop accidents. The past week, there has been 4. Sometimes, it is just skidmarks and then he does the rest in the bathroom. We have tried multiple punishments - taking away toys, taking away TV time, going to bed early, making him clean his dirty underwear. He has no explanation of why he does this.  I thought maybe because he wants attention, but the new baby isn't even here yet!  DH and I are so frustrated - we don't know what to do now.btw - he doesn't have any accidents at pre-school or the babysitters.  It's almost always at home.  Any suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: pooping pants regression..need help!

• could it be that the miralax is making him too regualr - can you try and cut it back some and see if that makes it easier for him?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs.RockyM:
    could it be that the miralax is making him too regualr - can you try and cut it back some and see if that makes it easier for him?

I don't think so.  He still only goes every other day.  It's rarely everyday.

• Loading the player...
  • Punishment is not the best method for trying to get him to go potty.  I have been there - I know how frustrating this can be.  Regression is normal and some kids have periods of regression over a few years after being trained.  I remember reading somewhere that it is common for kids to have accidents through kindergarten or something like that.  The baby coming might be the issue - he knows change is coming or it just might be regression or it might be that he is getting too much fiber or just plain and simple that he doesn't want to stop what he is doing to go.  Try a reward system - a sticker or special treat (we do 1 Skittle) for each day that is accident free.  We then also pick a bigger reward - if my child goes 2 weeks, she gets to pick a big outting.  This is for regressions that are more than a here and there accident but something more of what you are talking about - my 4 year old who has been trained for over a year just went through a regression recently and this really did the trick for her.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imagejlw2505:
    Punishment is not the best method for trying to get him to go potty.  I have been there - I know how frustrating this can be.  Regression is normal and some kids have periods of regression over a few years after being trained.  I remember reading somewhere that it is common for kids to have accidents through kindergarten or something like that.  The baby coming might be the issue - he knows change is coming or it just might be regression or it might be that he is getting too much fiber or just plain and simple that he doesn't want to stop what he is doing to go.  Try a reward system - a sticker or special treat (we do 1 Skittle) for each day that is accident free.  We then also pick a bigger reward - if my child goes 2 weeks, she gets to pick a big outting.  This is for regressions that are more than a here and there accident but something more of what you are talking about - my 4 year old who has been trained for over a year just went through a regression recently and this really did the trick for her.
      After doing some reading and more thinking, I too realize that the punishment is not working.  I will try this. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"