suggestions for parenting books for 12+ months — The Bump
Adoption

suggestions for parenting books for 12+ months

Hi Ladies!

I'm actually in a unique situation where we are adopting our first child from an African country which we live in, and getting books is a little tricky.  I have a kindle and friends/family who would be willing to send books my way, but without being able to go store and look through the selection, I'm not sure what to buy.  Our daughter will most likely be anywhere between 9 months - 24 months.  What I'm really hoping for is a more of a "how to" type book for 12+ months.  I have lots of adoption books, but I don't have any books about the basics of childcare for that age group.  I only have baby books, and our little girl will most likely not be a baby!  Do y'all have any suggestions?  What are/were your favorite books for raising toddlers?

Thanks! 

Re: suggestions for parenting books for 12+ months

• At the strong recommendation of many adoptive parents I just ordered, "toddler adoption" by Mary Hopkins Best.    Apparently this is an excellent book and sounds like it would fit your situation.  

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • Loading the player...
  • I really liked Your Toddler Month by Month. It's written by a child neuropsychologist, and groups sections by age groups (12-18, 18-24, 24-36, and 36-48 months). I like to read it when I need an extra dose of patience. It goes over a lot of things like typical brain development and how to understand why your child may be acting like an angel one minute and in a pile of tears the next. Etc. It also has troubleshooting sections for things like sleep issues and picky eaters.
  • Loading the player...
  • image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Thanks for the suggestions!  I'm going to give all those a look!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards