VBAC
Options

No Vbac for me :-( thanks to my old OB

Had my A/S today everything looks good. Baby is healthy. Saw my doc right after for my monthly check up. She said No to the Vbac attempt because of an extension cut that was made during the c/s.I did have the transverse cut but because  my old OB didn't go into detail in my OP report about what way the extension was made,either strait or vertical. So my new OB said because she didn't do my c/s the first time and my old OB was not very detailed on what way the extension was made she would feel safer with a RCS.Plus my old OB said in the OP report I was a failer  to progress. (My DS was OP 'sunny side up) she didn't have that in my OP report either. I did make it to 10cm pushed for 4+hrs and baby stayed at 0 station ( I thought it was because he was OP) my new OB is thinking that it was because I have a small pelvis. My OP report didn't have that in there about my pelvis. So now I really feel cheated on a Vbac attempt. Has anyone else experienced this with there old OB and not being detailed on the OP report ??????

Re: No Vbac for me :-( thanks to my old OB

• Options

I would seriously consider at least interviewing a few more OBs if possible.

I don't know anything about the extension cut, but cutting you again on the chance of a problem seems like there has to be another way, and I call BS on the small pelvis thing. Women are told this ALL THE TIME but the truth is we were MADE to make babies. It is so freakin rare that that is actually the problem. Especially since your first LO was sunny side up OP, that right there is enough to make it pretty much impossible to push a baby out, because the head isn't pushing down in the right way to make progress.

Just my two cents, but if there is another doctor that could support your VBAC, it is worth finding out. There are certainly good reasons for a RCS, but there are also a lot of doctors who just prefer RCSs even if they initially say otherwise.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Honestly, your new provider doesn't sound very VBAC friendly.  If her only concern was the extension cut, then maybe I'd see it as a realistic concern.  But, if she's talking about your pelvis being too small, that raises all sorts of red flags.  Positioning is everything and an OP baby can mean the difference between success and a c-section. 

Any chance you could get a second opinion?  My new provider didn't even request my OP report.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't even know about the extension cut that was made. I am surprised that my old OB didn't even put what way the extension cut was made. Or even the Op position of my DS. My old OB said "fail to progress" But I know my DS didn't make it past 0  station because of him being OP. I am really disappointed in my old OB for not having all my info in my OP report..... My new OB said my OP report is confusing. But also she didn't wanna take a chance at the scar breaking away due to the "not knowing how the extension cut was made".
  • Options

Can you somehow get a hold of your old OB? I would interview other providers, too, and see what they have to say about the lack of details.

My first son was OP, I pushed for 4+ hours, and I ended up with a c/s for FTP also. I had a VBAC with my second, who was 2+ lbs and inches bigger than his brother. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:

Can you somehow get a hold of your old OB? I would interview other providers, too, and see what they have to say about the lack of details.

My first son was OP, I pushed for 4+ hours, and I ended up with a c/s for FTP also. I had a VBAC with my second, who was 2+ lbs and inches bigger than his brother. 

I was thinking about calling my old OB and talking to someone about it. My New OB also said yesterday that with the "fail to progress" and " because my uterus is out of my pelvis  she thinks my hips are narrow.

• Options
    imagemamak85:

I was thinking about calling my old OB and talking to someone about it. My New OB also said yesterday that with the "fail to progress" and " because my uterus is out of my pelvis  she thinks my hips are narrow.

There's a decent amount of women on here who had FTP or babies who were OP for our first c/s, and even some who were diagnosed with CPD (i.e. their pelvis was "too small" for vaginal birth). A lot of us went on to have successful VBACs the next time around.

Having a baby in a wonky position is a pretty common factor for c/s, and definitely doesn't necessarily mean your pelvis or hips are too small.

Even ACOG's revised statement on VBAC said that women with an unknown type of scar are still eligible to attempt VBAC (see here: https://givingbirthwithconfidence.org/2-2/a-womans-guide-to-vbac/are-you-an-"ideal"-candidate-for-vbac-what-are-your-choices-if-not/): "subsequent Practice Bulletin from the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists states that none of the following factors, in and of itself, indicates that a woman is a poor candidate for VBAC:

...unknown prior scar, unless there is a high suspicion that the prior scar is a classical incision."

Call and ask to speak to your old OB, and tell them you need more details. It can't hurt to ask! And then see what the new OB has to say, but don't be surprised if she doesn't want to support your plans. I really think the most important factor in VBAC success is having a truly supportive provider. Good luck! 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

Honestly your new OB seems to be grasping at any an all excuses to prevent a VBAC. An extension cut doesn't automatically mean anything, especially if neither you not your current OB know where it was. The FTP thing is BS. Bad positioning can keep baby from coming down to apply pressure to the cervix and complete dilation and allow delivery. There's so much you can do if you want to - new provider, chiro care to help with positioning, calling your old OB and finding out why the OR report sucks. GL with whatever you decide.  

• Options

I agree that the problem sounds like it's with your new OB, not your old one. A diagnosis of "small pelvis" is BS the vast majority of the time. And what is she basing this on, exactly? Having an OP baby is a common cause for what you're describing- I had it with my first, pushed for three hours, made no progress whatsoever. I just had a vbac with a short two-hour labour from first contraction to baby in arms (with a bigger baby, too). Clearly my pelvis can fit a baby just fine, but my first son couldn't find his way out due to his positioning.

I'd keep looking for a new OB/midwife. I think your new OB is feeding you false information.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageannabelle.27:

I agree that the problem sounds like it's with your new OB, not your old one. A diagnosis of "small pelvis" is BS the vast majority of the time. And what is she basing this on, exactly? Having an OP baby is a common cause for what you're describing- I had it with my first, pushed for three hours, made no progress whatsoever. I just had a vbac with a short two-hour labour from first contraction to baby in arms (with a bigger baby, too). Clearly my pelvis can fit a baby just fine, but my first son couldn't find his way out due to his positioning.

I'd keep looking for a new OB/midwife. I think your new OB is feeding you false information.

The small pelvis Issue came up yesterday when she measured me. She said something about my uterus be out of my pelvis to much?? My uterus is  measuring  1 month bigger? Not my baby just my uterus. I am very confused. As I am not a doctor...

• Options
    imagemamak85:
    imageannabelle.27:

The small pelvis Issue came up yesterday when she measured me. She said something about my uterus be out of my pelvis to much?? My uterus is  measuring  1 month bigger? Not my baby just my uterus. I am very confused. As I am not a doctor...

Again, I think that's probably misinformation. My measurements were considerably off early in both my pregnancies. At one point with my vbac baby I measured six weeks ahead. I know plenty of women who measured large at various points in their pregnancies and went on to have uneventful deliveries. I really think your new OB is trying hard to railroad you into an rcs.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ditto annabelle.  Your uterus being out of your pelvis as a reason or indication for RCS is one I've honestly never heard before but again, you need to decide if it's important enough for you to do your own research and find someone who can help you understand what your individual risks really are.  If you're ok with a RCS and you don't want to find a new OB that's fine, really every woman should feel comfortable birthing the way you want.  But your OP made it sound like you didn't want a RCS - so we're all trying to help here.  The overwhelming consensus you're hearing from women who want or have had a VBAC is your current OB is full of it.  Only you know that for sure but here's some easy reading on why he/she is incorrect in their assumptions:

https://vbacfacts.com/quick-facts/

Of specific interest to you - "having an unknown or low vertical scar...should not prevent a woman from planning a VBAC." (ACOG 2010)  Also,

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"