Parenting after 35

Summer vacation WWYD

We are talking about vacation for this year and kind of up in the air about what we would do.  So WWYD?

1.  Visit ILs in Palm Springs:  cons are we were just there for Christmas and it will be hot as hell.  Pros are with FIL's back surgery, not sure when they are coming out so the kids will definitely see them again and kids LOVE visiting them.  And there is good shopping.  Big Smile  We might also be able to throw in a night or two away for DH and I and leave the kids with MIL.

2.  Pseudo-Staycation here and visit the mountains or Rocky Mountain National Park:  DH has never been and loves camping and hiking.  Save a bunch on travel expenses. Cons are we have two small kids and DS just couldn't hike for that long even in a carrier (he's heavy and gets hot easily).

3.  True staycation:  stay home and just venture out for day trips to the zoo, aquarium, Boulder or CO Springs and the like.  Pros are cost and we'd get to explore the area more and hang out.  Certainly least stressful option as we don't need to arrange dog-sitter.  Con is that some of the stuff we've seen and may end up being bored.

4.  Fly back east to see my parents and grandmother:  Pros are my parents get to see them and we might be able to combine it with a beach trip (kids haven't been to a beach) and other attractions in VA area.  I could also help my mom go through some more stuff of my grandmother and clean up.  Cons are it would be the most costly option by far, it's a long trip and I was already back there with DD in Nov and was there by myself in January.  And my parents can drive me batty.  If we don't go back, don't know if my parents would see them this year (something they knew when they moved across the country).

Coming up next year is a big family reunion for DH's side probably at Yellowstone and likely Christmas at his folks' house again and year after that, likely a smaller family reunion in the summer back east at a beach for my side.  2015 is likely a WDW trip (tenative).  Given those destinations are upcoming, WWYD?

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Summer vacation WWYD

• 2 or 4. Real stay-cations are always a bit of a bust and, speaking as someone who grew up not far from Palm Springs, PS is waaayyyy too hot in the Summer.
  • Come to COS and have a playdate with us!!!!!!!  Heck, I'll be your tourguide!

I highly recommend exploring Colorado.  Estes Park/RMNP is fun in the summer, but you can kinda do that in one weekend.   Go early (right after Memorial Day) before the tourists really start pouring in.

I love it here in the Springs.  So so so much to do and everything is super close.  I have good friends from Parker who have never really been down here much and they were just floored at how much there is to do and how easy it is to get around to different places.

Recommended sites--Garden of the Gods for easy hiking.  Pikes Peak Cog Railway for a nice relaxing train ride to the top of the mtn., Cave of the Winds is awesome,  Cheyenne Mtn Zoo is super cool.. you can feed the giraffes (we go once a month, I swear!), Dinosaur Resource Center in Woodland Park (haven't been there yet but my friends are going to tell me if they like it), Flying W Ranch has a hokey western town and yodel-y cowboy shows.  Helen Hunt Falls is free and nice for hiking.  Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs for great shopping.  Oh, and splurge and stay at the Broadmoor.  Or at least go for drinks at the Golden Bee.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBrideBuddies:

Come to COS and have a playdate with us!!!!!!!  Heck, I'll be your tourguide!

I highly recommend exploring Colorado.  Estes Park/RMNP is fun in the summer, but you can kinda do that in one weekend.   Go early (right after Memorial Day) before the tourists really start pouring in.

I love it here in the Springs.  So so so much to do and everything is super close.  I have good friends from Parker who have never really been down here much and they were just floored at how much there is to do and how easy it is to get around to different places.

Recommended sites--Garden of the Gods for easy hiking.  Pikes Peak Cog Railway for a nice relaxing train ride to the top of the mtn., Cave of the Winds is awesome,  Cheyenne Mtn Zoo is super cool.. you can feed the giraffes (we go once a month, I swear!), Dinosaur Resource Center in Woodland Park (haven't been there yet but my friends are going to tell me if they like it), Flying W Ranch has a hokey western town and yodel-y cowboy shows.  Helen Hunt Falls is free and nice for hiking.  Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs for great shopping.  Oh, and splurge and stay at the Broadmoor.  Or at least go for drinks at the Golden Bee.

Shoot, you stole my idea! I was going to say come for Stampede! I vote no real staycation, they never work. I always end up catching things up around the house.

• I would say 2.  Explore areas near your home and you don't have the full expenses of traveling across the country.  Palm Springs will be really hot (I personally don't like the heat) and airfares are insane right now.  DD and I are going to my cousin's wedding in June in upstate NY and flights were $450 each.  Ugh!
  • I vote for 2.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I would do 2 or 4.  I think a not far from home type of vacation can be a ton of fun or you can always combine things and do part of the week at home checking out some new sites and doing some day trips and do the camping/hiking thing for just a night or 2.  Sounds like you are going to be seeing a lot of DH's side of the family in the coming years so I would skip that and if you really are not going to see your parents in the next year, I would make that a priority.  If you think a week would be too long with them, I would plan to fly out, stay with them for a few nights, do a beach getaway for a night or 2 and then go back to your parents.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Every options has its pros and cons. Personally, I like the 2d but I have never been to Colorado :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"