April 2012 Moms
Options

Conflicting medical advice and random question

Had a NST done after Dr. appt on Friday.  At Dr. office I told nurse A that I'd been having contractions all night.  She said as long as my water didn't break and I hadn't noticed decreased movement or bleeding I had nothing to worry about.

At the hospital for my NST ( I have GD and my sugar level was 144 at Dr. appointment ) nurse B noticed I was having contractions frequently.  I tell her yes and I said something to nurse A at my Dr. office and what she told me what to watch out for.  Nurse B says "No, come back if they are spaced 3-5 mins apart, even if it's nothing, it's better than wondering at home."  I live 30-40 mins from the hospital and I am GBS+ so I don't want to wait and not make it in time for the antibiotics to start working.  Did anyone else get conflicting advice about when to go in?

And for my random question: Is it ok to bring my prenatals and take them while I'm at the hospital?  I've read some of the posts that say no outside meds for safety/ hospital policy but is this included?  I plan to continue to take them while breastfeeding.  I should have asked the nurse while I was at the hospital what the policy was but I didn't even think of it at the time.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Conflicting medical advice and random question

• Options
    my hospital gave me prenatals while i was there. this should be the standard for all hospitals but you could always call and ask.
  • Options
    When receiving conflicting advice from the nurses, I would run it by my OB or just err on the side of caution and go in.  As far as bringing your own meds in to the hospital.  I do it all the time because it can take 2 hours to get a doctor to approve tylenol.  Just check with your doc ahead of time about what you can take for what.  And while in the hospital, let your doc know if and when you take something or get him to aprove it in your chart in advance.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm having my Dr. sign off on a list of herbs/natural pain/relaxing things I plan to take while in labor etc. If you have your Dr. sign off on it they can't take them away from you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #1-BFP 08-22-09 ~ M/C 08-31-09 at 5 weeks 6 days
    #2-BFP 08-6-11 ~ Due 04/18 ~ born via c-section April 22, 2012
    My Blog
  • Options
    How far apart were the contractions you had been having all night?  I think nurse A and B are both right.  You should go in when your contractions are 5-1-1 (5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute long, for 1 hour) OR when your water breaks or you have bleeding.  And if you are not sure.. go in.. especially because you live kinda far from your hospital.  Better safe than sorry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wasn't timing them, though I knew of the 5-1-1 rule I should have been.  Thanks for the input, I'll check at the hospital when I drop off the rest of my paperwork about their policy on meds.  Worst case, I'll skip them til I get home :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"