Two Under 2
Options

crib/bed dilemma

Our LO will be 17.5 months when our new LO arrives. What did you guys do that have children about the same age with the bed situation? We really don't want to buy another crib. Did you transition your older baby to a twin bed or toddler bed? TIA!

Re: crib/bed dilemma

• Options
    I know for us, we are going to have LO sleep in the bassinet in our room when she is home. She will probably be in our room until she is sitting up and too big for the bassinet, so after things have settled down in the house, we are going to move DS out of his crib and into a toddler bed. We'd get a twin bed but their current room doesn't have enough room for a twin bed. The plan is to have DS sleeping in the toddler bed before we move DD into their room (in the crib)
    - - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    trinnytrinny member
    Similar to pp. We're keeping DD in her room/crib while newborn stays with us until ~3m when I go back to work.  Then we'll transition her, most likely to another crib our neighbor gave us.  I'd consider the toddler bed, but I'm not ready to give her free reign to get in/out of bed yet!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We bought DS a crib that converts to a toddler bed, he's still in it "crib style". And we borrowed another crib from a friend for DD.

I LOVE that DS is still in a crib. Granted, he's never tried to climb out. It's just easier in the morning and with night time wake ups from his baby sister.

• Options

we bought a twin bed, and the transition didn't work out well.  We ended up buying another crib and kept the twin bed in his room.  About a month ago, he started asking the sleep in the big bed, and the transition has been super easy.  Just took down the crib last week. 

• Options

Do yourself a favor and keep child #1 in a crib as long as s/he'll let you.

our DD1's crib converted to a toddler bed. I bought a nice secondhand crib for DD2.  She stayed in our room in a bassinet for the first 4 months anyway. DD1 stayed in her crib until she started crawling out and then converted to toddler bed.

Borrow a crib or bassinet form some one if you can. 

Married my best friend on 5/14/05
    Three Girls: Bits 2/08  Biscuit 10/09 & Sweet Chuck 2/12
    One Favorite son: Suishy Smalls 6/14
    And another Princess coming 7/16
  • Options
    lkf041lkf041 member

My kids are 18 months apart exactly and we ended up getting a cheaper second crib.  My #1 is a great sleeper and I didn't want to mess with that so we decided to keep him in his crib.  We will keep him "caged" in for as long as we can.  Once he is ready to move to a big boy bed we will switch his crib with #2's crib since hers is a 4 in 1 and converts. 

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I WANT the containment of a crib, especially since I BF and need to know that my toddler is safe and confined. The expense of a second crib was well worth it for us. Neither one of my girls were climbing out when the new baby was born, so I didn't want to ruin their "good" sleeping.

FWIW, DD#1 went to a bed at age 2, but DD#2 who turned 3 in May is STILL in a crib.......different personalities......

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

My girls are 20 months apart, and we bought a 2nd crib. I think it was money VERY well spent. DD1 is a great sleeper & she's happy in there, so I'm keeping it that way until she tries to climb out. DD1's crib is convertible, and we got another convertible crib set for DD2 (a much cheaper one, but still nice!), so the plan is they will both keep their furniture sets until they move out of the house.

This is the crib we got DD2. I think it is a very reasonable price & it looks really nice. It comes with the toddler rail also!
    Baby Mod Cadence

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD2 stayed in the bassinet for the first few months. She could have stayed in their longer or transitioned to the pack n play, but we did end up buying a crib. We didn't need to, I just felt bad having a fancy $$$ crib for the first and a cheapo PNP for #2. Didn't seem fair.

We played it by ear though. No way would I want DD1 out of her crib now. Even if she was ready for it, it's crucial to have a place where she can be contained.

• Options

DD started climbing out of her crib at 22mos so we had little choice but to convert her crib the next night. The process was not smooth and it took her about 3wks to finally sleep well at night again. Now DS needs a crib as he's too big for the pnp bassinette so we bought her an acutal toddler bed (much cheaper than buying another crib) and put it where her old bed was and she didn't even blink. Been sleeping in it for a week now.

We left her old bed/converted crib in her room in case she refused the new bed but now that she's not had an issue, we'll move it into our room and use it for DS.

We would've let DD stay in her crib for as long as she wanted, even if that meant we had to buy another crib for DS (we figured we had until she was about 27mos old before DS would need one anyway so we had time), but if you are going to switch her I'd do it at least 6-8wks before baby arrives in case you have issues like we did.

• Options
    Get a 2nd crib! My boys are 19 months apart and having ds#1 still in a crib is a lifesaver. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD will be 18 months when the baby arrives. We'll keep the baby in the basinette for a few months and the move DD to a full size bed with rails on it. Many of my friends have done this around 18-24 months because they had to with another baby arriving and said everything was fine.
  • Options
    DD will be 19 months when the baby arrives. We did not want to purchase another crib, and thought DD would be ready for a big girl bed. We bought her new furniture and went ahead and transitioned her to a twin bed with a long guard rail when she was 13 months. Technically, you don't need to transition until 3 months before the new baby arrives (doctors advice). We were anxious and went ahead with it. She did great from day one. She has only gotten out of her bed twice during naptime. I guess this all depends on whether you think your child will be fine with the change. My DD is easy going, and I thought she would be okay with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"