Baby Names
Options

Caroline?

How would you pronounce this name? 

Caro-lin?

Caro-line? 

I really like this name when it sounds like "line" at the end, but Im not sure how to make that clear with the spelling.

MIL's name is Carole and I would like to honour her with this middle name for a future daughter. :) 

TIA! 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Caroline?

• Options
    I pronounce Caroline Caro-line and Carolyn Caro-lynn
  • Options

I'd say Care-oh-line.

I would pronounce Carolyn as Care-oh-lyn.

That said, I know a Caroline who pronounces her name Care-oh-lyn and I mess up and pronounce it Care-oh-line just about every single time.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have a DD Carolyn.  We spelled it that way because I didn't want the name pronounced like the song Sweet Caroline.  I wanted the -lynn sound.  People still mess it up, even when they see the spelling and have heard me say it, but for the most part, I think spelling it that way helped.  I have some good friends from the South, and they say Carolyn and Caroline are completely different names.  I'm from the Midwest, and I know I've heard Caroline pronounced the -lynn way. 

Sorry if that was confusing.  In a nutshell, people will probably mess up the pronunciation of this name no matter what.  It's a beautiful name, and once people get to know your daughter, they will learn how to pronounce it!

• Options

imageBrittRN+:

This. I have never met a Caroline who pronounces it "lyn". That's a different name.

I love Caroline!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    That is definitely Caro-line. And I love that name : )
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thats what I figured, but I have heard people pronounce Caroline with a "lyn" sound on the end, so I just wanted to make sure!!

Thanks for your help ladies!! :) 

Anniversary
  • Options

I agree with the other posters that Caroline is pronounced the the "line" sound, Carolyn is pronounced with the "lyn" sound.

As a mother of an infant Caroline, I will tell you that the name has become POPULAR.  I posted a few months ago about my disappointment at its sudden and explosive increase in popularity. 

Still a good middle name choice.  I would go with Carolyn since it is much less popular but still classic and beuatiful.

By the way, love the name Ella Elizabeth--good choice!

• Options
    I am a Caroline, pronounced Caro-line. My whole life though, I have been called Carolyn by teachers, at dr offices, etc. Some people do think both names are pronounced the same. As a middle name it should not be so much of an issue though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagePeachyGal1:

By the way, love the name Ella Elizabeth--good choice!

Thank you so much! We've been calling her by her name for so long now (since my 16 week u/s) that I have gotten so used to her name and she's not even born yet. :) I know Ella is quite popular but it is also an old name so that makes me feel better about it not just being "trendy". Anyways, I really appreciate the compliment. :) 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Definitely Caro-line
    BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• Options

imageBrittRN+: