Breastfeeding
Options

bf and ff ?S

I've really struggled with Bf since day 1 and it hasn't gotten any easier at 6 weeks.  Flat nipples, slow flow, and anxiety have all attributed to me wanting to quit BF.  The only reason I haven't yet is because I know its the healthiest option for DD.  After crying my eyes out last night to DH about how much stress I feel BF he suggested something.  His suggestion was doing formula then BF milk every other time. I'm about to go back to work so this sounds like a good idea since I'm terrified that DD will freak out one day hungry and I won't have sent enough pumped milk.  DH suggested that the times I give formula at home I pump to keep my supply up and then nurse when I don't do formula.  Do you think this would work?  DD would still be getting the nutrients from the breastmilk and would have a sane mom for once in 6 weeks.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
3month11

Re: bf and ff ?S

• Options

The first few months of breastfeeding are hard, but it will get better. The growth spurts will slow down and your body will adjust.

If you want to maintain supply then you will definitely need to pump when your LO gets a bottle. However, pumping is not nearly as efficient as a baby and takes some dedication.

Have you seen a LC for the problems/stresses? A good one is a great help.

• Options
    If you are around LO- nurse. You will likely lose your supply if you just keep pumping. I started this around 7 months because I got really tired of LO always needing to nurse, so I gave 1-2 formula bottles a day and tried to pump. I wish I could turn back and never have supplemented until I needed to while I was working. My supply was never the same.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pumping is not as good for your supply as letting baby nurse. If you really want o bf, maybe seek out the help of a LC.
  • Options
    Some people pump every time their LO gets a bottle and they still need to supplement. BF doesn't have to be full-time, so yes, it's okay to do what's best for YOU and your baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"