July 2012 Moms

Would you find a new doctor after this?

So, I'll try to make this agonizing, long story as short and simple as possible. We'll start from the beginning.

It took me a while to acquire insurance. Finally, at 22 weeks I had my first appointment with an office that was highly recommended and that delivered at the only hospital in the state that has a natural birthing center. Exactly what I wanted.

A few days later I got a phone call that my pap had tested positive for chlamydia. I was nothing short of devastated. H and I have been together for 3 years and we have an amazing relationship and faith that grounds us, so I never even came close to suspecting him of anything. After talking to a nurse and H, I figured it must have been a mistake and scheduled another pap to re-test.

I went in for my re-test and was immediately lectured by the MW for not taking the antibiotics. I told her I had good reason to believe that the results were a mistake and that I don't like taking medication unless necessary. She was very forceful with the pap, short with me, and acted like she was "mad" at me the entire time. Before I left she told me I probably needed to have a talk with my husband. I told her I was sure the test would come back negative and everything would be fine. A few days later after the second pap, the SAME DAY that we found out we're having a boy (so much happiness), I got the phone call that my second pap had come back positive again for chlamydia. This time I was really scared, among other things. It completely rained on our parade. I told H and he was furious. Not with me, just with the situation. We decided to go into the office that night to dicuss it with one of the midwives.

We got there and basically told the MW to rule out sex with an infected person by either of us. We asked her what the chances were of me contracting it another way. We mentioned it maybe laying dormant for years in H and me not contracting it from him until recently. We mentioned possibly getting it FROM the pap smear. We tried to come up with every possible scenario except sex and she just shook her head. She basically told us that it was impossible, and that one of us had to have had sex with an infected person. She ended the visit by saying that we "probably needed to have a serious talk". We left, even more uneasy than before and at a complete loss.

H actually did start questioning me after that. He said he didn't want to, and that everything in him told him that I was innocent, but that the logical part of him couldn't help but ask me about it when the doctor had told us that it had to have come from sex. He then started asking me why I never questioned him. I told him because I didn't need to. We got into an argument about it and I finally convinced him that maybe we should get a second opinion before jumping to any conclusions. He agreed. He made a doctor's appointment with his own MD for the next morning where he would ask him his thoughts on the situation.

The next morning while H was at his doctor's appointment, I got a phone call from a nurse from the office. She was frantic and told me as fast as she could speak that my results were wrong--I in fact did NOT have chlamydia. It was just normal bacteria that is not STD related at all and she said to make sure I "tell my husband". I asked her how it could have come up positive twice if I didn't have it. She said she wasn't sure and that I should ask my midwife at my next appointment. Needless to say, I called DH right away and caught him before he went in for his exam (thank goodness) and told him the good news. I think he was more relieved than I was!

H and I have talked about it and we kind of want to go to a different office now because of this whole situation. I'm not sure how it happened, or why, but honestly I'm so disgusted with how we were treated there and the fact that that the effects of this "mistake" could have ruined my marriage that I almost don't even want to give them the chance to explain themselves. How do you screw something up like that TWICE?!

I'm just weary of switching doctors now because I'm already 6 months pregnant. I also don't know of many other doctors/midwives that offer childbirth at the natural birth center that I want to utilize. And honestly I'm scared of something like this happening again. I have lost a lot of trust for medical staff because of this. I liked the midwives that I saw during my last pregnancy, actually I liked them a lot, but I can't have the birth that I want at the location I want if I go back to them.

So, if you were in my position, what would you do? My next appointment with my current office is in 3 weeks. Should I wait until then to give them an opportunity to offer me an explanation? Or should I just try to find a new MW while I can?

Tara
"Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation. For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost." Peter 2:1:20
image image image
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary

Re: Would you find a new doctor after this?

• JnA12JnA12 member

I would look in to changing. It's not too late. They screwed up, you gave them the chance to correct their mistake, they screwed up again.

If you can't trust them with something like an STD test then why would you trust them to deliver life?

• LM915LM915 member
    imageJnA12:

I would look in to changing. It's not too late. They screwed up, you gave them the chance to correct their mistake, they screwed up again.

If you can't trust them with something like an STD test then why would you trust them to deliver life?

I agree. Sorry that happened. What a mess. :( 

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 | DD born July 2012
    BFP #2 | EDD 04.18.14 | D&C 10.01.13 @ 11w3d
    BFP #3 | EDD 09.15.14
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehijoi:
    Call the birthing center and ask for a list of docs who will deliver there.  Use that list to call the docs and see if they can take you at this point in your pregnancy.  Good luck to you.  That sounds like it must have been terrible!

This! I am so sorry you had to go through this!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagehijoi:
    Call the birthing center and ask for a list of docs who will deliver there.  Use that list to call the docs and see if they can take you at this point in your pregnancy.  Good luck to you.  That sounds like it must have been terrible!

I actually called them before when I first started looking but they only referred me to the prenatal staff on location at the hospital. Should I ask again? They kind of acted like they could only refer me to their own services.

Tara
    "Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation. For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost." Peter 2:1:20
    image image image
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I'd definitely look into it. I have no patience for professionals that treat me with disrespect!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WOW - I can't imagine how pissed I would be after that...and TWICE! I would find another Dr. / MW.
  • I must admit before I opened your post I was already thinking this was going to be some petty situation where a bumpie freaked out over something small. I would definitely want two things. #1 a new MD #2 to know why they so confidently said you had it when you do not.

You can have natural birth anywhere! Change facilities quickly so you can feel comfortable when you have your baby boy! 

AnniversaryPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's so awful! I think it's worth changing docs -- you don't want to go into a natural birth (or any birth, for that matter) with a medical professional you can't trust. You need to be able to trust them to have the kind of experience you want, and they've given you very valid reason to be uncomfortable with them!
    BabyFruit Ticker

July 3rd, 2012 ~ Hang in there sweetheart, we can't wait to meet you!

• imageJnA12:

This, this, this. I am almost sick just thinking about that. How awful. I would change in a heartbeat---AND I would follow up with this facility. I would file a report and not leave it alone until I was satisfied it had been investigated and the issue had been resolved. 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 6/25/10**TTC #1 July 2011**BFP 11/1/11**EDD 7/11/12**U/S shows TWINS!!! 11/30/11
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Fraternal girls born at 35+4. Slow down baby girls!!
  • I really don't think you'd be able to trust any test result they gave you after this.  It's not worth constantly second guessing everything.  I'm also appalled that she treated you "forcefully" during your pap and acted angry that you wanted it done a second time.  What do they expect?  Of course you would want the test done again!  I would run from this practice as quickly as possible.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That is horrible. My sympathies. It gives me flashbacks to the student health clinic at my university, where they acted like we were all promiscuous and loaded with STDs. Def. get a new doctor's office. Ugh.
  • There is no way I would go thru this process with a MW or OB that A-had made me feel this way at our appts and B-came back repeatedly with false results.  Even if it meant I was with someone new or in a new hospital that did not provide the ideal conditions (those being the only hospital in the state with a natural birthing center).  It's far more important to me that me and my husband equally feel comfortable, supported, and in good hands thru this process.  What you have gone thru sounds truly horrible and admittedly I don't think I would be able to get past it with this MW having caused so much undue stress not only with the negligent results of the tests but in her handling of the situation with each of you.
  • imagekiwi625:
    imageJnA12:

This, this, this. I am almost sick just thinking about that. How awful. I would change in a heartbeat---AND I would follow up with this facility. I would file a report and not leave it alone until I was satisfied it had been investigated and the issue had been resolved. 

How do I do this? I feel like I need to.

Tara
    image image image
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"