Toddlers: 24 Months+

Lying about LO's age...

The flight post below got me to thinking.... There are so many things that are free to kids 2 and under. My daughter, who is just over two, in my opinion falls into the 2 and under category, since she's still 2 years old. Now, some places say children under 2 are free, which would mean to me, that children who are 2 years and even 1 day old are not free, correct?

Anyway, my question here is this: If you have a three year old who could easily pass for 2 or a 2 year old who could easily pass for one, are you honest and still pay for them or do you try to fib and get them in for or allow them to eat for, etc. free? Let's just keep this to situations where they wouldn't be asking for proof of a child's age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lying about LO's age...

• When we went to the zoo for his birthday we had to go a week late and so he was already 2. My husband told the truth. I was planning to say that we were there celebrating his 2nd birthday and see what the clerk did with that info. So, in that case I wasn't lying, but I'll take free if I can get it.

I would consider lying in a situation where the event/activity etc has either an adult price or free, I'm not interested in paying the same amount for my child as for me in certain situations. Places we are going FOR him I'll pay for, but something like a baseball game where he's not going to watch at all but just wander around I might lie about since it's the same price for everyone. If it was a crowded, sold out baseball game I'd pay because I don't want to be too squished, but around here they usually aren't, so the extra body isn't hurting anyone. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Absolutely. I have a huge issue when places charge for 2 and 3 year olds when they get bored of can't see. The zoo here charges $9 for 3-12 year olds, which is ridiculous for a 3 year old. The aquarium is even worse and it's not even a very good aquarium. My mom had me lie about my age, I have no qualms about having DS do it. I happily pay for his entrance to Gymboree and Play Groundz and we do buy him his own seat for hockey games- he is too active to be a lap child there. As long as they look the part and no proof is required, why not?
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If it's something that I know isn't for her, yes I would.

If it's something for her and I know she can get a lot of out it, no.

I've had to lie about my age growing up, mainly out of my stupidity like forgetting my ID somewhere.  It didn't scar me, as far as I know. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If they specifically ask about the kids ages, I tell the truth.   If they assume and assume wrong, I don't say anything.  I don't know that we have really run into it being an issue though..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No - I don't like the idea of lying. However, if it was stated 2 and under I would consider that went to 36 months. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm always honest. Even if I tried to lie one or the other would rat me out!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageWally3:
    No - I don't like the idea of lying. However, if it was stated 2 and under I would consider that went to 36 months. 

This.  I get nervous and stressed out.  I won't even use the bathroom at, say, Starbucks unless I'm planning to buy something!  DH, on the other hand, would milk our children's youthful looks for as long as he could. So I just step into my embarassed shadow and let him do the deceiving.

• I don't lie because my kids are old enough to listen, correct me, and be confused why I want them to be truthful, but lie myself. 
  • imagesmsalat:
    No, I don't lie, and wouldn't....In fact, I have ALWAYS had issues with people believing my DD's age, she has been off of the growth charts since birth, at one she looked like she was two at two she looked like three, now that she is four I have people ask me if she is six.  There is NO WAY I would have ever been able to get away about lying, and it is not ethical at all. 

Pretty much this. DS is quite tall and only just turned 2 the end of December. People are always giving me the side eye when we say he's 2 because they all think he's at least 3. Recently, someone even thought he was 5! We said we're going to start carrying around a copy of his birth certificate for proof.

• herohero member

imageWally3:
    No - I don't like the idea of lying. However, if it was stated 2 and under I would consider that went to 36 months. 

Ds is 2 until his 3rd birthday and in my mind, if the sign states 2 and under, it includes ds. I do get him own seat for plane flights and the train. He's too squirrely to be a lap baby. 

<Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • I don't lie and I don't condone lying. If I think the child price is outrageous, I would probably just not go.
    imageimage
  • OK, I'll admit it, if it's going to save me a few bucks, then I will lie. I will not make my LO lie (coach them to say the wrong age) and I would never lie when it comes to something like a plane ticket.

For example, for DS's 2nd b-day, we took him to Sesame Place. If they are 23 months and under, they are free. Over 23 months and it's $57.99.  He is a little guy and could only ride a few of the rides.  There was no way we were going to spend almost $60 for him to ride the 3 or 4 rides he could.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • My mother did this to me and it was embarrassing but I was older. I had a tennis pass that said my date of birth was 2 years later than my actual date of birth. So for tournaments my mom took advantage of that and made me play in the 12 and under when I was supposed to be playing 14 and under (can't remember the exact age group). This is all good and well if you are small for your age but I was taller than most of the kids that were my age so I felt like a fool trying to pass for a 10 y/o when I was 12 (just to give you an idea, I was 5'7" when I was 10 and stopped growing at 13 when I was (and still am Smile) 5'11").

As far as little kids, I sort of agree with everyone else. If it is something specifically for the child I more than likely would be honest. If it is something that isn't for her I might try to get away with it unless it is cheap.... 

• There was one time DD was a little over 2 and she was charged the under 2 price without asking for her birthday and I didn't correct them.  Lying about her age now would never work.  She is very proud to tell anyone and everyone exactly how old she is.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagemari_gold:
    I don't lie and I don't condone lying. If I think the child price is outrageous, I would probably just not go.

This, I also agree with pp that I don't want little ears to hear Mum lying, especially over something so petty.

I am however, happy to haggle, or negotiate a "child's" fee at a place that only has an "under 2" or adult price. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• imagehero:

imageWally3:
    However, if it was stated 2 and under I would consider that went to 36 months. 

Ds is 2 until his 3rd birthday and in my mind, if the sign states 2 and under, it includes ds.

Both of these points.  If people say "how old is your DS" and if the answer starts with "2" (or now, 3), then he was "2".  He was 2 until the day he turned 3. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I am 100% honest.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imageshopgirl78:
    If they specifically ask about the kids ages, I tell the truth.   If they assume and assume wrong, I don't say anything.  I don't know that we have really run into it being an issue though..

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• To me until their birthday when they turn 3, they qualify as 2 and under. Once my daughter turned 3, I pay for her since she is not 2 and under. She was small enough to still pass for 2.

• I'd consider him free until he hit 3 years old even if it was 2 and under.  Not a lie, just a stretch of the 100% exact truth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"