Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Lie about toddler's age when booking flight?? Help!!

2»

Re: Lie about toddler's age when booking flight?? Help!!

• imageand now for something completely different:
    imagesofamonkey:
    imageand now for something completely different:

Can I steal a bottle of wine since it's not as bad as robbing the whole liquor store? I'll even only snatch a $30 bottle.

Only if you split it with me.

Pilfer your own booze;) My motto is "I steal it, I drink it."

Surprise  ouch.  
  • frlcbfrlcb member

imagesofamonkey:
    Can you even get through security?  Usually for a lap passenger, you need a voucher to get through security.  You also need accompanying ID.  So, even though JB didn't check the birth cert. last time, security probably did.  You will probably be caught, then made to buy a last minute ticket, and possibly not make the flight if it's booked.  If you're that concerned about $$, make some cuts at home, or don't go.  

Kids under 16 (and possibly 18, I can't remember) are not required to have id, per the TSA. They can get through security. I hope they try this and get caught.

Signed, someone who pays for my children to fly internationally so suck up the $300 or don't go. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesofamonkey:
    Can you even get through security?  Usually for a lap passenger, you need a voucher to get through security.  You also need accompanying ID.  So, even though JB didn't check the birth cert. last time, security probably did.  You will probably be caught, then made to buy a last minute ticket, and possibly not make the flight if it's booked.  If you're that concerned about $$, make some cuts at home, or don't go.  

Actually, each time we flew I had everything in my hand ready to hand it over. I even asked security, flight crew, check in people... basically every stop if I needed to show them her BC. They shook their heads saying no. 

Security never checked her. And that was for each flight.  

• Do you have a plan B if they ask for a birth certificate and you don't have it?  They have always asked for Snuggle's, but I've never flown Jet Blue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesofamonkey:
    imagesofamonkey:

Can I steal a bottle of wine since it's not as bad as robbing the whole liquor store? I'll even only snatch a $30 bottle.

Surprise  ouch.  

But I winked!

Are you a good driver?

I think it's to rob the whole store as long as I don't actually shoot anyone. I'm liking this new logic.

Anywho, I need a getaway driver. 60/40 ?

• imagesofamonkey:

I've flown quite a few times with the kids as lap children - on Jet Blue, Northwest (when it was still around), United and Continental. Never once was I asked for any sort of voucher, birth certificate or ID - either at check in, security, or the gate.

That said, no way would I lie about a child's age to have them sit as a lap child. Dangerous and unethical.

• imagezeptattoo:
    Do you have a plan B if they ask for a birth certificate and you don't have it?  They have always asked for Snuggle's, but I've never flown Jet Blue.

Well, had people said yes, they've flown with children over the age limit I would consider it more and attempt a plan B. However, through the flames, it's obvious it's not been attempted and it's not a good idea. I am sure we will be paying for three tickets.  

• How old is your child?

Just under 2.

Mommy, I'm 2. And I'm going to be 3 soon.

Last warning, OP, children love to tell people how old they are and about their birthday.

• imageposvane:
    imageTapDancingLlamas:
    imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:
    DD1 will be 3 months shy of 3 yrs old. We want to fly JetBlue. They fly 2 and under for free. Not once of the 3 round trips last year was her birth certificate checked. Do we risk it???????? 

If its truly 2 and under, then you're okay.  If she's not yet 3, then she's still 2, right?  Am I missing something here?

This. You wouldn't even have to lie about age. I think lying is a bad idea. Plus, I wouldn't want my tiny 18 month old on my lap for an entire flight. I certainly would not want an almost 3 year old on my lap.

For saving $300 I'd have a 3 yr old on my lap for the flight lol. I don't lie normally. (Not lying lol)  

typically, I'm willing to pay extra for something to be comfortable. This is no exception. You want to save money, just don't fly. Breaking rules just to save is stupid. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageand now for something completely different:
    imagesofamonkey:
    imagesofamonkey:

Surprise  ouch.  

But I winked!

Are you a good driver?

I think it's to rob the whole store as long as I don't actually shoot anyone. I'm liking this new logic.

I saw the wink.  It still hurt.  And I'm a fantastic driver!!  60/40 is fine, but steal 2 bottles.  I *may* take more from the 2nd bottle when your lightweight arse passes out.  I promise to not shoot anyone either.  Wink
  • imageTapDancingLlamas:
    imageposvane:
    imageTapDancingLlamas:
    imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:
    DD1 will be 3 months shy of 3 yrs old. We want to fly JetBlue. They fly 2 and under for free. Not once of the 3 round trips last year was her birth certificate checked. Do we risk it???????? 

If its truly 2 and under, then you're okay.  If she's not yet 3, then she's still 2, right?  Am I missing something here?

This. You wouldn't even have to lie about age. I think lying is a bad idea. Plus, I wouldn't want my tiny 18 month old on my lap for an entire flight. I certainly would not want an almost 3 year old on my lap.

For saving $300 I'd have a 3 yr old on my lap for the flight lol. I don't lie normally. (Not lying lol)  

typically, I'm willing to pay extra for something to be comfortable. This is no exception. You want to save money, just don't fly. Breaking rules just to save is stupid. 

Maybe you can be the Alto! 

• imageposvane:

imagezeptattoo:
    Do you have a plan B if they ask for a birth certificate and you don't have it?  They have always asked for Snuggle's, but I've never flown Jet Blue.

Well, had people said yes, they've flown with children over the age limit I would consider it more and attempt a plan B. However, through the flames, it's obvious it's not been attempted and it's not a good idea. I am sure we will be paying for three tickets.  

I didn't flame you and not sure if you read my post....

It is smart to buy the ticket because in the end it could end up costing you more or as I PP they can deny you flying because you lied/tried to steal. If allowed to fly at another time you would have to pay change fees and difference in fares andso on! Again good luck. 

• imagebabysmithy1:
    imageposvane:

imagezeptattoo:

It is smart to buy the ticket because in the end it could end up costing you more or as I PP they can deny you flying because you lied/tried to steal. If allowed to fly at another time you would have to pay change fees and difference in fares andso on! Again good luck. 

Hold your horses... never said you flamed. I knew the consequences before I asked the question. Duh. What my question was is if anyone had done it. Thanks! 

• How on earth are you going to get a 3 year old to sit on your lap the whole flight???? And I just can't see that being comfortable for you.  Buy her a ticket so she can have her own seat!
  • imageposvane:
    imagebabysmithy1:
    imageposvane:

imagezeptattoo:

Hold your horses... never said you flamed. I knew the consequences before I asked the question. Duh. What my question was is if anyone had done it. Thanks! 

My bad.... you didn't flame me - I'm sorry, you said through the flames, DUH!

And again sorry didn't see that you has asked if anyone else had done this. I saw in your OP that you asked if you should risk it. I only wrote to you what could happen and basically the decision is up to you and good luck ;-)

• imageposvane:
    Honestly, yes. And contemplating is a good word choice. I didn't say I was doing it. I am aware of the risk in it too. I can't see spending an extra $300 when I could have her fly for free. As long as it is not dangerous for her to not be in a seat then I'm okay with that lie. I could be lying worse things. But, I'm not. 

It is dangerous, to her and everyone else on the flight. Children should always have their own seat regaurdless of age. And if necessary (which in this case it is), be in a proper car seat.

• SGC29SGC29 member

imageposvane:
    I get the feeling you think I'm on a pedestal. I'm not, trust me. Money is money. I could with the Mega Millions and not have to worry about anything... but that's wishful thinking.

and dishonesty is dishonesty.

I'm not for shady business. I'd be honest and fork over the money you rightfully owe.

Yeppers. 

• imagesofamonkey:

But I winked!

Are you a good driver?

I saw the wink.  It still hurt.  And I'm a fantastic driver!!  60/40 is fine, but steal 2 bottles.  I *may* take more from the 2nd bottle when your lightweight arse passes out.  I promise to not shoot anyone eitherWink

At least we have the same moral standards when it comes to wine thievery.

• imageposvane:
    About my question, yes I am being serious. If rules are rules than they should be followed all the time and my child's birth certificate should have been checked for the 3 round trips she took. If it saves me $300 dollars... 

The RULE is that you have to buy a ticket for any child 24 months or older, not that the airline has to check your child's birth cert.  

• We're taking a two hour flight tomorrow and got Liam his own seat for our own sanity and he's not even two yet.  I would pay the $300 just so I didn't have to spend the entire flight with a nearly 3-year-old on my lap. 

Don't lie.  Suck it up and follow the airline's guidelines.  They aren't there just to annoy you.

image image
  • wow. You must all  be rich because $300 in my house is a big deal.

I think close to 3 is stretching it a bit but I think if your child is close to 2, who cares?

• frlcbfrlcb member
    imageLoveBeingAWife33008:

wow. You must all  be rich because $300 in my house is a big deal.

I think close to 3 is stretching it a bit but I think if your child is close to 2, who cares?

If $300 is a big deal and the choice is lying or not going, well, you probably shouldn't go if you can't afford to pay it. We all make sacrifices, I would love to travel every month but we if we can't pay for it we don't go. We don't lie to go.

You know who cares? The airlines. The ones who MAKE the rules. I don't understand why this is difficult to understand.

• imagefrlcb:
    imageLoveBeingAWife33008:

wow. You must all  be rich because $300 in my house is a big deal.

If $300 is a big deal and the choice is lying or not going, well, you probably shouldn't go if you can't afford to pay it. We all make sacrifices, I would love to travel every month but we if we can't pay for it we don't go. We don't lie to go.

You know who cares? The airlines. The ones who MAKE the rules. I don't understand why this is difficult to understand.

I agree that $300 is a big deal but that's hardly the point.  If you can't afford to fly your family somewhere, I guess you wait until you can.  I've never flown anywhere with my kids but I can't imagine them wanting to sit on our laps for more than a few minutes.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Well, is the rule "2 and under fly free" or "under 2 fly free"? She fits the first but not the second. I'd give them her age and pay for the extra ticket if necessary. 
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageposvane:
    Honestly, yes. And contemplating is a good word choice. I didn't say I was doing it. I am aware of the risk in it too. I can't see spending an extra $300 when I could have her fly for free. As long as it is not dangerous for her to not be in a seat then I'm okay with that lie. I could be lying worse things. But, I'm not. 

Technically it's safer for all children to have their own seat. You're taking a risk by not having your infant strapped into a carseat.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • If it were 3 *days* over 2, maybe.  But nearly 3?  No.  'Cause you're not even following the spirit of the rule. 2 and 3 year olds are very different.
    IMG_8355
  • imageposvane:

The fact is that the rule is there FOR A REASON.  meaning that it IS in fact dangerous to have a larger child on your lap.  It's just like in a car crash situaion: When a crash happens, any unrestrained people or items become projectiles flying around the inside of the vehicle/plane.

They allow children under 2 as lap children because a parent/adult is much more likely to be able to keep a safe/secure grip on their 20-25 lbs toddle than they are to be able to keep a safe/secure grip on a 40 lb 3 yr old (or whatever).

your "as long as it is not dangerous for her to not be in a seat, then i'm okay with that ie" line sucks.

• Telling the truth, not telling the truth, $300, free...none of that matters to me.  I have never had a lap child and never will.  I happily pay whatever the price because flying sucks.  I never want a kid on my lap for the duration of a flight.

But I toyed with trying to pass Olivia off as 3 at Disney...so I guess I am just as bad as you OP.  FWIW, I am not.  We bought our park tickets already.

• imageposvane:
    About my question, yes I am being serious. If rules are rules than they should be followed all the time and my child's birth certificate should have been checked for the 3 round trips she took. If it saves me $300 dollars... 

You are justifying the lie because they have taken you at your word in the past?!

Buy the ticket.  Don't blame the business's trust in the past for your bad judgement in the present.

• Ok, am I the only person that thinks that her DD will still be 2 when they fly. Right? I mean, she's 2 months away from being 3 so she's still 2 years old. When someone asks for our ID they look at the age we are now...they don't round up. Maybe I'm totally reading this wrong, but I think you're ok if she won't be 3 yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• RummRumm member

Every CNN special interest article I read about behind the scenes in air travel talks about the dangers of flying with a lap child.  The FAA Rule is a stupid one. 

Here is some reading to answer your question on if flying with a lap child is safe regardless of age.  

https://www.jetwithkids.com/blog/lap-child-policy-10-veteran-flight-attendants-perspectives

Just my two cents.  Take it or leave it.  

• frlcbfrlcb member

imagecgr8979:
    Ok, am I the only person that thinks that her DD will still be 2 when they fly. Right? I mean, she's 2 months away from being 3 so she's still 2 years old. When someone asks for our ID they look at the age we are now...they don't round up. Maybe I'm totally reading this wrong, but I think you're ok if she won't be 3 yet.

No, it is UNDER 2, not 2 and under. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"