Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Lie about toddler's age when booking flight?? Help!!

DD1 will be 3 months shy of 3 yrs old. We want to fly JetBlue. They fly 2 and under for free. Not once of the 3 round trips last year was her birth certificate checked. Do we risk it???????? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lie about toddler's age when booking flight?? Help!!

• No. What happens if someone asks your child? She, like most children, will proudly tell her accurate age.
  • no. Most airlines will ask for a birth cert. if your kiddo looks remotely close to 2.
  • Loading the player...
  • Lol, that's funny.
  • You're not being serious, right? 
  • imageposvane:
    Lol, that's funny.

What's funny? That no one thinks it's a good idea to lie? It's not even like she just turned 2 a couple of weeks ago. She is practically 3 for crying out loud. I flew with DD as a lap child (at 18 months) and I was required to show her birth certificate.

• About my question, yes I am being serious. If rules are rules than they should be followed all the time and my child's birth certificate should have been checked for the 3 round trips she took. If it saves me $300 dollars... 
  • I wouldn't. I was asked the last two flight for a birth certificate and lo is tiny. She was 18 mos at the time. 

That being said, I once sat behind a "lap infant" who had to be three or four. She was talking in full conversations and would have been a HUGE two year old. I'm not sure how they did it, but I wouldn't risk it.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We flew one week before my son's 2nd birthday and no one checked. 

I also know someone who forgot a birth certificate, they asked for it, they gave them a lot of trouble but ultimately they let them on the plane. Their child was under two though.

Also, my son doesn't know how old he is yet. So he wouldn't be able to tell anyone. We're flying in a couple weeks and I'm not sure what I would do given the choice. As is I have to buy him a seat because I'm not allowed to have 2 lap children. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageposvane:
    About my question, yes I am being serious. If rules are rules than they should be followed all the time and my child's birth certificate should have been checked for the 3 round trips she took. If it saves me $300 dollars... 

So because they didn't check her birth certificate previously that means you can break the rules and pretend she is under 2?

• imageposvane:
    About my question, yes I am being serious. If rules are rules than they should be followed all the time and my child's birth certificate should have been checked for the 3 round trips she took. If it saves me $300 dollars... 

What does that have to do with the fact that you are contemplating lying?

• I wouldn't risk it because I'm afraid of karma and all, but I've never once been asked to show DD's birth certificate. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • From Jet Blue's site:

Customers traveling with a lap child could be asked for proof of age, such as a passport, birth certificate (copies are acceptable for domestic travel) or an immunization record when the infant's age is questionable

So your "rules are rules" argument fails twice.

• imageposvane:
    Oh, see that makes sense.  They didn't check ID once, so you're going to stick it to the man  save $300.  Sure, go ahead. 

I'm gonna go ahead & hope it bites you in the asss big time & they make you buy a super expensive last minute flight fee, or they kick you all off for trying to scam them (which btw is quite illegal), thereby stranding you in a random place.  Good luck, you'll need it.  

• imageposvane:

You do realize YOU'RE the one who is supposed to follow the rules right? Them not checking the birth certificate when it's obvious your kid is under 2 doesn't make it right for you to lie. Hope you get caught.  

• imageposvane:

The maker of any rule always has the freedom to ignore their self imposed rule, at any time.  That does't mean other people get to.  

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Honestly, yes. And contemplating is a good word choice. I didn't say I was doing it. I am aware of the risk in it too. I can't see spending an extra $300 when I could have her fly for free. As long as it is not dangerous for her to not be in a seat then I'm okay with that lie. I could be lying worse things. But, I'm not. 
  • I get the feeling you think I'm on a pedestal. I'm not, trust me. Money is money. I could with the Mega Millions and not have to worry about anything... but that's wishful thinking.
  • imageposvane:
    Honestly, yes. And contemplating is a good word choice. I didn't say I was doing it. I am aware of the risk in it too. I can't see spending an extra $300 when I could have her fly for free. As long as it is not dangerous for her to not be in a seat then I'm okay with that lie. I could be lying worse things. But, I'm not. 

Oh, well as long as it's not a really bad lie...

And who wants a 3 year old on their lap during an entire flight? Are you nuts? Oh wait   :looks up:

• imageposvane:
    Honestly, yes. And contemplating is a good word choice. I didn't say I was doing it. I am aware of the risk in it too. I can't see spending an extra $300 when I could have her fly for free. As long as it is not dangerous for her to not be in a seat then I'm okay with that lie. I could be lying worse things. But, I'm not. 

But you can't have her fly for free. What part of that don't you understand? The rules say children under 2 can be a lap child. Your child is not under 2. Therefore, your child needs her own seat. It's basic logic. Your complete disregard for rules is ridiculous.

And the "I could be doing worse things" line is bullsh!t. Just because you could be doing something worse doesn't make what you are doing suddenly better or legal.

• This would be more fun if you would use the quote button.

• I think you need to start a choir! Thanks for the advice. 
  • imageposvane:
    DD1 will be 3 months shy of 3 yrs old. We want to fly JetBlue. They fly 2 and under for free. Not once of the 3 round trips last year was her birth certificate checked. Do we risk it???????? 

If its truly 2 and under, then you're okay.  If she's not yet 3, then she's still 2, right?  Am I missing something here?

• Can I steal a bottle of wine since it's not as bad as robbing the whole liqour store? I'll even only snatch a $30 bottle.

• imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:

If its truly 2 and under, then you're okay.  If she's not yet 3, then she's still 2, right?  Am I missing something here?

No, it's only until their 2nd birthday.

• imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:

That is why my question was asked.  

• FYI, "two and under" is different than "under two." I looked at Jet Blue's site and they said kids are considered lap children until their second birthday, i.e., under two.

If the policy was what you stated -- two and under -- your DD would still be two and you wouldn't need to lie. As it stands, though, she is well beyond the lap-child age limit.  

And no, I wouldn't lie about it.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • imageand now for something completely different:

Can I steal a bottle of wine since it's not as bad as robbing the whole liqour store? I'll even only snatch a $30 bottle.

Only if you split it with me.
  • We went to a dinasour exhibit a week after DS turned 2, and I totally said he was under 2/free. It was a week after his bday & I hesitated. Also didn't feel bad saving the $15 to get in seeing as we had to pay $6 a ride once we got into the thing. 

Bottom line, no. I wouldn't lie about this. Be happy she flew for free so much in the past and pay up now.  

• Having worked for JB for 7 years before becoming a SAHM - the rule is under 2 is free with the exception of applicable taxes. Keep in mind if you do get caught they can either 1 - have you buy a ticket which can be more expensive than $300.00 2 - deny you travel and if allowed to rebook, you might have to pay a change fee and difference in fare if more expensive 3 - keep you from flying the airline for some time or 4 - call the authorities. 

But hey.... just sayin' good luck! 

• imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:

From JetBlue's website:

A child between the ages of three days old until their second birthday is considered a lap child and does not need to pay for a seat.

Once a child has their second birthday, they are no longer considered a lap child and a seat must be purchased in order for them to travel. If the child has their second birthday between the outbound and return flight, a seat will need to be purchased for the return flight.

• imagelite-bright:

FYI, "two and under" is different than "under two." I looked at Jet Blue's site and they said kids are considered lap children until their second birthday, i.e., under two.

If the policy was what you stated -- two and under -- your DD would still be two and you wouldn't need to lie. As it stands, though, she is well beyond the lap-child age limit.  

And no, I wouldn't lie about it.  

Thanks! I looked for that definition on the site and couldn't find it. 

• Hypothetically: Just to see where the jury stands on this, we considered booking a flight that encompassed my son's 2nd birthday. On the way there he would have been under two, on the way back he'd be over two. Would you go to the trouble of booking an extra one way ticket for the flight back or just book round trip with lap child?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you kidding me?  You are considering breaking rules and putting your child in danger in order to save a few bucks. 

And no, not all airlines ask for children's birth certificates. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageand now for something completely different:
    imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:

No, it's only until their 2nd birthday.

So OP is mis-worded.  It's actually UNDER TWO not TWO AND UNDER.  In that case, no I would not lie.  I wouldn't chance all of us being denied.

• imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:

This. You wouldn't even have to lie about age. I think lying is a bad idea. Plus, I wouldn't want my tiny 18 month old on my lap for an entire flight. I certainly would not want an almost 3 year old on my lap.              ETA:just saw other responses. Now I know the official rules, but I thought it was a bad idea anyways.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageTapDancingLlamas:
    imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:

This. You wouldn't even have to lie about age. I think lying is a bad idea. Plus, I wouldn't want my tiny 18 month old on my lap for an entire flight. I certainly would not want an almost 3 year old on my lap.

For saving $300 I'd have a 3 yr old on my lap for the flight lol. I don't lie normally. (Not lying lol)  

• frlcbfrlcb member
    imageposvane:
    imageTapDancingLlamas:
    imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:

This. You wouldn't even have to lie about age. I think lying is a bad idea. Plus, I wouldn't want my tiny 18 month old on my lap for an entire flight. I certainly would not want an almost 3 year old on my lap.

For saving $300 I'd have a 3 yr old on my lap for the flight lol. I don't lie normally. (Not lying lol)  

It is safer for them to be in their own seat, so your logic there is flawed as well. Buy her the ticket.  

• imagefrlcb:
    imageposvane:
    imageTapDancingLlamas:
    imagejaxmom1:

imageposvane:

It is safer for them to be in their own seat, so your logic there is flawed as well. Buy her the ticket.  

Not flawed, thanks. I stated earlier:

"As long as it is not dangerous for her to not be in a seat the..."

• imagesofamonkey:
    imageand now for something completely different:

Can I steal a bottle of wine since it's not as bad as robbing the whole liquor store? I'll even only snatch a $30 bottle.

Only if you split it with me.

Pilfer your own booze;) My motto is "I steal it, I drink it."

• Can you even get through security?  Usually for a lap passenger, you need a voucher to get through security.  You also need accompanying ID.  So, even though JB didn't check the birth cert. last time, security probably did.  You will probably be caught, then made to buy a last minute ticket, and possibly not make the flight if it's booked.  If you're that concerned about $$, make some cuts at home, or don't go.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"