Pre-School and Daycare

XP: Giving up nap?

To those moms whose LOs have given up naps altogether, at what age did that happen? It's taking DD forever to fall asleep at night, and I'm wondering if she is ready to perhaps give it up. (Though that totally freaks me out, with #2 on the way in a few weeks!! Oh well!) 

What do you do to fill your day up a bit more? I'm so used to having some down time. Do you instill a "quiet time"? 

Thanks a bunch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Giving up nap?

• My older one gave up naps at 2y 10, the younger one at 2y 1m. For both of them they could easily nap 2 hours (even now), but even a 5-10 minute car nap keeps them up partying until 12-1am, long past when I want to go to bed. We don't do any sort of "quiet time" because if they fall asleep then they end up staying up really late, waking up at their normal time and are an overtired mess and it takes us several days to get back into a good routine!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD1 has given it up and gone back to it half a dozen times in the past 2 years.  Looking at you ticker, I bet now isn't a good time for you for DD to drop the nap!  DD has "quiet time" for an hour in her room each afternoon.  It works because she doesn't sleep.  Down time is still important, so try to find something quiet she can do solo to wind down that won't put her to sleep. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thankfully my daughter still takes naps. She will be 5 in Jun but once she gets out of preK I will be phasing them out because she wont be able to have them in K. It will be an adjustment over the summer. Once she starts school, she will be up an half hour early but getting out at 230 so we'll see what she needs. Not to include a newborn. I might have to up her bedtime.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD#1 gave up her nap at 2y/o and DD#2 is still taking a nap at 3 yrs, so quite a difference there. For DD#1, as soon as she moved out of her crib and into a bed that was pretty much the end of naps. DD#2 transitioned great to her big girl bed and has been going strong with her naps but I have noticed lately, too, that it takes her a long time to fall asleep at night (not that she is crying or upset, but she'll talk to herself for upwards of an hour or two) and if I can't get her down for her nap before 1pm I just skip it altogether or it gets too late.
    Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12
  • imagesnowflakemom:
    DD#1 gave up her nap at 2y/o and DD#2 is still taking a nap at 3 yrs, so quite a difference there. For DD#1, as soon as she moved out of her crib and into a bed that was pretty much the end of naps. DD#2 transitioned great to her big girl bed and has been going strong with her naps but I have noticed lately, too, that it takes her a long time to fall asleep at night (not that she is crying or upset, but she'll talk to herself for upwards of an hour or two) and if I can't get her down for her nap before 1pm I just skip it altogether or it gets too late.

The latter is exactly what's happening. She did/does great in her bed, but lately she has been taking an hour or more to fall asleep at night. Today she skipped her nap and fell asleep without a problem.

• We had a couple of times when I thought we were done.  Doing things like moving naps up and shortening them helped us get back on track.

My oldest stopped napping around 5.

My youngest stopped napping around 4.

I'd be fighting to keep naps continuing at her age and under your circumstance.  Try wearing her out in the morning, putting her down for nap earlier and waking her up after just an hour of sleep.

GL!

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • DS1 only took a nap about 1 time a week starting at 2.  By 3 we were done with quiet time.  It was hard.  Now DS and I play outside if the weather is good or snuggle on the couch and watch TV for a little bit while DS2 naps.  After TV I make him play on his own for about 30-45 min.  He is not very good with playing on his own and I think it is important so it is a big part of our routine.  It also gives me a little break.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• we bought a CD that plays for almost exactly one hour, he has to stay in his bed and rest until the cd is over. If he's still awake when the music goes off, then he can get up. Sometimes he sleeps, sometimes he doesn't but it at least gets me an hour of quiet.
  • DD gave up naps around 3.5 years.  Once in a while she will take a nap, but then she can't fall asleep at night until 10 p.m.  She does have quiet time in her room for 30-45 minutes.  I try to have her quiet time be on the early side, usually after lunch, because if it's too late she might actually fall asleep and then everything is out of whack.  It's hard when they stop napping!  I really miss that solid two hour chunk in the afternoon to get things done. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KL777KL777 member

DS sometiems naps and sometimes doesn't.  On the days that he doesn't nap he gets a 2 hour quiet time AND I TAKE A NAP :-))

Quiet time consists of playing with quiet toys in his room. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• DD #1 was around 5 and DD#2 at 4 will still nap some days and some days not and if she does nap, we wake her after 30-60 mins max.  WE still have a quiet time at home, for an hour everyday (they get it at school and we for sure do it on the weekends).  It does us all good to recharge.  The girls need to stay in their rooms and play quietly or read or sleep/rest.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"