Blended Families
Options

FI comparing behaviors - need some advice!

I am brand new here and have a situation with my FI that I?d like some advice on. He has a 6 year old son from a previous relationship and I have a 4 year old daughter with my ex husband. FI has S every other w/e. Whenever S is around my daughter FI compares their behaviors and points out to me how much better behaved S is than my daughter. FI has a great relationship with DD but says that being with DD makes him miss S. I am TTC now and it worries me that whenever we have our baby that being around him or her will cause him to miss S and that he?ll always put S on such a high pedestal. I?ve approached FI about this and he becomes very defensive and irritable about the fact that he only sees S every other w/e and says that I shouldn?t complain because the time we spend with S is so limited. I want to be understanding of that but he is always telling me how he hopes our baby turns out more like S than my daughter. How should I handle this?

Re: FI comparing behaviors - need some advice!

• Options
    You don't ttc with him.  Sorry, but true.   He hopes your future baby turns out more like his kid?  
  • Options

imagesoontobemomma:
    You don't ttc with him.  Sorry, but true.   He hopes your future baby turns out more like his kid?  

THIS! WTF who says that?!?

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Please put yourself in your daughters shoes. Her stepdad is constantly feeling negative thoughts about her and comparing her unfavorably to other kids. 

Really?

Your child is the most important person and the only person you are directly responsible for. Drop the tool and find someone who deserves to have your daughter in his life 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I could have written everything you posted (except for FI saying that about your kid).  I actually made a post extremely similar to yours a couple days ago and as someone pointed out in that thread...he has his son every other weekend and the poster in my thread was right, that is not at all enough time for him to really even know his son.  All he has is a handful of days a month and it's all roses when his son is around.  There is nothing you can do about how he sees his son and if you were to have a another child with him hopefully he would love your child as much.

But how he talks about YD....NO WAY would I ever allow that and I agree with PP that I would not be ttc with him.  You need to have a serious talk with him and tell him that is not ok.  If he can't correct that behavior I wouldn't be with someone that doesn't treat my child with respect, whether it is to her face or not.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    If yoU are engaged, why are you TTC with a man who has not married you yet? This situation is a huge red flag of what's to come. I would get out before you are stuck with this man and get pregnant. Why would you even consider having your daughter around this man all the time? How horrible if she has to grow up constantly being told she isn't good enough. 
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Options

imagekaratechrissy:
    If yoU are engaged, why are you TTC with a man who has not married you yet? This situation is a huge red flag of what's to come. I would get out before you are stuck with this man and get pregnant. Why would you even consider having your daughter around this man all the time? How horrible if she has to grow up constantly being told she isn't good enough. 

This!

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options

imagewendilea:
    All of what Chrissy said.  Someone please explain to me why people are in such a rush to PLAN pregnancies with men who haven't married them and are sh!tty to their kids?

This.  I don't get the planned pregnancies prior to getting married.  Make it as far as the alter then enjoy your marriage a bit!   

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • Options

If he is saying negative things about your daughter now, imagine how he will compare her to the child that the two of you will have together.

Get his head in the right mindset first (as in family counseling STAT!), then decide whether or not you want to bring a child into this relationship. 

• Options

The role of a parent is to protect and raise the child to the best of the parents ability and to the best of the child's potential.

You need to protect your MUCH YOUNGER (seriously, the maturity and educational levels of a 4 yo are so much different from a 6 yo) child from your emotionally stunted boyfriend. 

And your BFs 6 yo son needs to be parented, not put on a pedestal.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    imageDaringMiss:

If he is saying negative things about your daughter now, imagine how he will compare her to the child that the two of you will have together.

Get his head in the right mindset first (as in family counseling STAT!), then decide whether or not you want to bring a child into this relationship. 

Why try counseling with someone that is being so negative about your kid that they do not want their future kid to be like her?  You are not married, LEAVE now before it becomes harder.  And notice all but one person here says not to have a kid with him, do not ignore this advice and then be shocked when things get worse for your DD when a little one is born, I cannot imagine how if he is being negative before marriage he will start treating everyone great when he has a kid with you.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    SigirSigir member
    imageCheerilee:

imagewendilea:
    All of what Chrissy said.  Someone please explain to me why people are in such a rush to PLAN pregnancies with men who haven't married them and are sh!tty to their kids?

This.  I don't get the planned pregnancies prior to getting married.  Make it as far as the alter then enjoy your marriage a bit!   

I can understand it... when you feel like you are getting older and want more kids, you can be in a rush (that was me!).  It's a bad decision, and one I regret, as much as I want the baby I am currently carrying and love my dh.  But I wish I had waited because there is so much stress right now between me and dh it is so hard.  In your case OP, I would definitely put ttc on hold based on what your FI is saying- it is unacceptable.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"