Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Looking for dinner ideas for LO--- finger foods

We've bee feeding him a ton of chicken--but he's got to be tired of that already.  We've done a little beef here and there but it seems like we're just eating a lot more chicken or stuff that I just don't want to feed him.

We're stuck because of food allergies-so staying away from dairy and egg products right now.  He seems to be tolerating wheat though. 

Share some of your dinner "solids"

Thanks!

Re: Looking for dinner ideas for LO--- finger foods

• Options
    what about beans? Lo loves black beans. She also loves quinoa, I give her a preloaded spoon or a little silicone bowl and let her feed herself, and for proteins we give her bites of steak, ground beef, chicken, fish, pretty much whatever we're eating. And steamed veggies - carrots, sweet potato, zucchinni, green beans, asparagus..
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageCarlaAndJames:
    what about beans? Lo loves black beans. She also loves quinoa, I give her a preloaded spoon or a little silicone bowl and let her feed herself, and for proteins we give her bites of steak, ground beef, chicken, fish, pretty much whatever we're eating. And steamed veggies - carrots, sweet potato, zucchinni, green beans, asparagus..

Do you use canned black beans or do you prepare them?  Do they cause bad gas?  I've never fed actual beans.  Otherwise yeah, he eats the veggies and all that other stuff--mainly looking for protein sources.  But beans are a good idea!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Haven't tried this yet, but is on the list of things I'll be trying soon:

Cous-cous and roasted veggies (squash, carrots, green beans, etc) cut up into appropriate sizes of course. 

• Options

the beans don't seem to bother her tummy, but she's got a pretty iron stomach (she got ahold of a piece of dry catfood yesterday and ate it without blinking an eye, yuck!)

I do feed the canned ones. I don't feel great about it, but I rinse them really well to get rid of most of the sodium. I have wondered if I could make a bunch myself and freeze in small portions?

• Options
    DS is dairy, egg, and soy free. He eats a ton of chicken too, but he lives it. I also offer pinto beans which he loves. Steamed veggies, I made homemade turkey burgers and he loved that. There's also dairy and soy free cheese at Whole foods. I make him quesadillas with that. I also make my own spaghetti sauce, and just pour it over safe noodles. 
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • Options
    We often give LO what we are eating so (cut up) pasta with a (cut up) meatball.  She's had refried beans with tortilla, noodles with a little olive oil and veggies or just marinara sauce.  If I make a roast in the crock pot, she has the veggies it cooked with and bread bits.
    Mommy to Violet 4/4/2011 and Linnea 2/10/2013
    Anniversary
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

the beans don't seem to bother her tummy, but she's got a pretty iron stomach (she got ahold of a piece of dry catfood yesterday and ate it without blinking an eye, yuck!)

I do feed the canned ones. I don't feel great about it, but I rinse them really well to get rid of most of the sodium. I have wondered if I could make a bunch myself and freeze in small portions?

Get a bag of dry beans. Only re-hydrate the amount that you want to use and leave the rest dry in the bag.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/legumes/NU00260

Slow soak. In a stockpot, cover 1 pound dried beans with 10 cups water. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Hot soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 pound dried beans and return to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover tightly and set aside at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. Quick soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 pound dried beans and return to a boil. Boil 2 to 3 minutes. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Gas-free soak. In a stockpot, place 1 pound of beans in 10 or more cups of boiling water. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Then cover and set aside overnight. The next day 75 to 90 percent of the indigestible sugars that cause gas will have dissolved into the soaking water.
  • Options
    I feed DD everything we eat...but we are doing BLW.  She loves chicken, pork, hamburger, pasta, veggies, rice, and potatoes.  Frozen or fresh veggies were really great to start with - like carrots, broccoli, sweet potato.  Just steam/boil until tender and they are ready to go!  Oh - she also loves lima beans and black beans - I often add them to a lot of the things I cook. 
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesrs5624:
    imageCarlaAndJames:

Get a bag of dry beans. Only re-hydrate the amount that you want to use and leave the rest dry in the bag.

Slow soak. In a stockpot, cover 1 pound dried beans with 10 cups water. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Hot soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 pound dried beans and return to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover tightly and set aside at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. Quick soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 pound dried beans and return to a boil. Boil 2 to 3 minutes. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Gas-free soak. In a stockpot, place 1 pound of beans in 10 or more cups of boiling water. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Then cover and set aside over night. The next day 75 to 90 percent of the indigestible sugars that cause gas will have dissolved into the soaking water.
    Think I could freeze afterwards? The chances of me doing something that requires that length if time even once a week isunlikely.
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:
    imagesrs5624:
    imageCarlaAndJames:

Slow soak. In a stockpot, cover 1 pound dried beans with 10 cups water. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Hot soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 pound dried beans and return to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover tightly and set aside at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. Quick soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 pound dried beans and return to a boil. Boil 2 to 3 minutes. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Gas-free soak. In a stockpot, place 1 pound of beans in 10 or more cups of boiling water. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Then cover and set aside over night. The next day 75 to 90 percent of the indigestible sugars that cause gas will have dissolved into the soaking water.

Think I could freeze afterwards? The chances of me doing something that requires that length if time even once a week isunlikely.

I just read through the link posted above. You can freeze them:

"To freeze cooked beans for later use, immerse them in cold water until cool, then drain well and freeze."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What about tacos, or say, anything with a little bit of "spicy" in it? We have been feeding Lydia pretty much everything we eat, but I'm scared to give her anything too spicy. What are you ladies doing about spicy foods?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"