Pre-School and Daycare

Car seat in rental car

Has anyone ever rented a car seat with a rental car? We're taking a family trip in Sept and will take DDs carseat with us b/c she'll need it on the plane but for DS we're thinking of renting one with the car. But I'm a little concerned about quality etc.

Re: Car seat in rental car

• My sister has done this once or twice - make sure you check the date on it. She refused several that were out of date. I think they expire, or something like that, after a certain number of years. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes and I will never do it again.  At the time it was for DD who was an infant and we ended up having to put her in DS's seat that he sat in on the plane and give him the crappy, dirty rental.  The rental people knew nothing about car seats and didn't care.  This year we bought cheap ones that we will just check and then consider them just our travel seats in case something happens to them. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCourt0026:
    Yes and I will never do it again.  At the time it was for DD who was an infant and we ended up having to put her in DS's seat that he sat in on the plane and give him the crappy, dirty rental.  The rental people knew nothing about car seats and didn't care... 
    this exactly. never again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never heard anything good about rental car seats.  If you are not using a car seat on the plane you can usaully regular or gate check it for free.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm the exception. We always rent car seats when we travel to Miami, Fl and have no issues. The car rental allows us to choose which seat we want to use out of dozens of each kind (infant, convertible, booster) of the Graco brand. Maybe it's b/c of the larger, int'l airport but again no issues having a clean, non expired car seat. There has to be a liability against the rental place if they're expired, correct?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My experience was with the denver airport.  it was a graco but it was filthy and cheap.  i will never travel without our car seat again.  it is really not that hard to gate check a car seat and it is free.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto everyone else that you don't know what you're getting until you're there and stuck. Besides, there's no way to know if the seat has been involved in an accident and returned or dropped and damaged (not all damage is visible, but it could cause a failure in an accident). You don't want to check carseats (gate or regular) for the same reason. There are nightmare stories about seats getting damaged or lost and people being stuck at their destination without a way to safely leave the airport. Bring your own seats and have the kids sit in them in the plane.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My sister swears by renting car seats. She does it for convenience and to avoid checking and possibly damaging her seats.

Personally I think it is a waste of money. Most places we go it is for an extended visit and the cost of the rental is the same as buying a seat that I know the history of.  I have checked the car seat, but I have also been told about 50% of the time that I can bring it on to use on board because the flight isn't full.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"