Adoption

Help - a friend just got the call to pick up her toddler

So a friend is adopting a toddler from another country and they got the call that they can schedule their flights to pick him up. Any advice on how to keep a toddler occupied for 16 hours on a plane?? Especially when he is with his new parents, whom he does not really know??
Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Help - a friend just got the call to pick up her toddler

• an iPad can be amazing!!! Crayons and coloring books, books, big stringing bead and thick string.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • By the way, huge congratulations to your friends!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i'm interested in these responses!!! we're adopting a little boy from Korea, and he should be around 2 when we can go to get him. i'm am SCARED TO DEATH of the flight home!! LOL

I have experience with toddler/kids ( tons of babysitting, I'm an elementary teacher)...its hard enough to entertain a toddler you know for that long, let alone one you just met a few days before!!   I'm just scared of how he'll react. He'll be with strangers (us) who are taking him away from everything he's ever known.

we won't be traveling until summer probably, but i'm already building my "supplies" LOL I have my old iphone stocked with kids apps/videos for him. i bought some toddler crayons that i'm hoping will be good for a few minutes, I also bought this cute thing by crayola for toddlers where they can do picture rubbings- so that should be fun. I also bought some cute cars, too for him. international flights have video screens, too so i'm thinking the cartoons on there might help keep him occupied.

My agency told us that it also helps to book night flights/red eye flights- during a time when they child would usually be sleeping. they might be more likely to sleep for some of the time. we also plan to try to take "shifts" with him, so each of us gets a break at some point. i'm also not above giving him some tylenol or something to maybe help him relax a little bit haha

honestly, i'm prepared for it to be hell... and just hoping for the best!! good luck and CONGRATS to your friend!!!

• Coloring books/crayons, regular kids' books, mini photo albums of you/your family to show the child (my daughter loves looking at pictures), a dvd player and a few cartoon videos, activity books, snacks...

I'll see if I can think of anything else!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • J is 5, so a bit older, but the flight home was...LONG!  Honestly, we had a million things with us to keep him busy, and he really needed to sleep, but he was just so hopped up and anxious/excited, that he didn't shut his eyes once.  He just played with his tray (open, close, open, close, open, close, open, close, etc.), his headset (on, off, change the channel, change the channel, change the channel, on, off, change the channel, change the channel, change the channel, on, off, change the channel, change the channel, change the channel, etc), and colored (colored, stopped, put away, colored, stopped, put away, colored, stopped, put away, ) the whole way home.

It was exhausting to watch, but as long as he wasn't bothering anyone (the tray came out of the armrest and not the back of the seat in front of us), I just let him do his thing.

In the end, she just needs to keep reminding herself that the flight will come to an end, and as long as the kid's not crying/annoying others, it's all good.

• Thanks ladies! She is booking her flights to and from Korea as we speak and I know this information has been helpful as she tries to get a grip on what is happening!!!
    Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We had  a 10 hour plane ride with our 2 year old DS.  I was dreading it but it really wasn't at bad as it could have been.  On the other hand, there were other toddlers who cried non stop.  I highly recommend getting a seat for the child, I think at 18 months it's a requirement.

I brought many little toys that he had not seen before the flight and brought them out at regular intervals.  Like cheap dollar type toys-hit Target/dollar store that didn't matter if they got lost-and won't make it home-and they won't.  Little blocks and nesting dolls were a huge hit.  Also stickers kept him occupied for a long time.

Finally, we did a lot of walking around the plane and people were very tolerant of us walking up and down the aisles.  DS was very into just looking around his environment.

And we brought plenty of food that we did at regular intervals.

He had a big crying spell and fell asleep on the floor for 2 hours.

• So helpfulp! I'm pinning all of these ideas - DS#1 will be coming with us to Uganda when we travel. Hopefully he'll be over 2 by then. DH will take him home after 2 weeks, and Baby A and I will come home when we're done. DS is such a busy child; I'm nervous about how much walking around the plane we'll have to do...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • I travel with my DDs frequently and the number one lifesaver is playdoh.  Target has mini playdoh in the dollar bins and they're awesome.  I buy two packs of five and just toss them when our flight is over.  I've had several people stop and comment on how its such a great idea.

Congratulations to your friend.

• I never thought to take play dough!  What a great idea!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCaptainSerious:

J is 5, so a bit older, but the flight home was...LONG!  Honestly, we had a million things with us to keep him busy, and he really needed to sleep, but he was just so hopped up and anxious/excited, that he didn't shut his eyes once.  He just played with his tray (open, close, open, close, open, close, open, close, etc.), his headset (on, off, change the channel, change the channel, change the channel, on, off, change the channel, change the channel, change the channel, on, off, change the channel, change the channel, change the channel, etc), and colored (colored, stopped, put away, colored, stopped, put away, colored, stopped, put away, ) the whole way home.

This made me LOL.

My only good suggestion is to book an overnight flight if possible.  And a lot of snacks.  Good luck to them! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Crayola Color Wonder markers are a life saver! I have continually used them for travel. They ONLY color on the paper provided and therefore, you do not have to worry about your child coloring on something that they shouldn't. Smile

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"