Pre-School and Daycare

DS is almost three....why is it so hard?

OK, we are expecting baby #2 in May.  DS seems ok with it so far.....we do not go overboard with talking about baby with him.  There are days when he is just awesome and days when he is a different kid completely!  Some days he is just totally out of control, does not listen at all, and is super defiant!  (As we get closer to his third birthday in April and the baby coming in May we are having an more and more "bad" days!)

Tell me this is normal as it just started in the last month or so!  I'm 33 weeks prego and running out of patience!

Re: DS is almost three....why is it so hard?

• 3 is so much worse than 2!  They know what they want and are able to communicate it more.  I think they just like to test us.  GL! 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • With my older one 2 wasn't bad, but 3 was absolutely awful. I'm hoping 3 isn't as bad as 2 with the younger one because 2 has damn near killed us both!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We're getting really close to 3 yo and DD's behavior is getting worse. The myth may be true-3 is harder than 2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had ds2 right before ds1 turned 3.  As it was closer to the baby coming ds1 behavior was well lack for better words everywhere.   We talked about the baby and used stuffed animals to help.  But as I felt more uncomfortable and irritable he picked up on that.

Just talk through things with him explain and remember it does get better. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageeris1995:
    3 is so much worse than 2!  They know what they want and are able to communicate it more.  I think they just like to test us.  GL! 

Ditto this!  3 was/is a really tough age with both my kids.  DD was really difficult as a 3 year old and I was really hoping that DS would be better.  No such luck, 3 is also a really awful age with him too.  I didn't have any new babies/babies on the way when either kid turned 3 that could have been causing the behavior.

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Dup
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Yep. Welcome to three.  The worst age ever for us, and DS had colic.
  • This most likely has nothing to do with the baby and everything to do with his age.  Whoever said Terrible 2's did not have a 3 year old.  Age 3 was way worse/harder for me with both of my girls than the 2's were.  I found things started getting easier with both the closer they got to 4.  DD#2 just turned 2 weeks ago and compared to a year ago, it is a world of difference and I know things will just get easier with her.  Good luck!
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I can't wait until Monday when DD1 turns 4.  The awful 3 year old behavior will just stop Sunday at midnight, right???? (wink, wink)   It has certainly been rough...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think there is a reason most preschools start at 3!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My DS will be 4 in April and we are still going through this phase. First he was colic for the 1st year, then when he was 2 people said "Oh it will be better when he reaches 3 its just the terrible 2's ", then we had the trying 3's and people said "they really mature by the age of 4". Still waiting here..............

However my son is especially stubborn and I guess you would consider him "strong willed or spirited" Everything is a struggle. Recently he started pooping in his pants again :( I am due with a new baby in June and stressed beyond belief but still trying my best to stay positive.

You are not the only one!

Hope things go well for you :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like others have said, I found 3 very challenging.  In some ways, it's wonderful because he understands so much more, is creative and funny and we can chat about things.  But it's so much harder because he still has meltdowns.  We are closing in on 3 1/2 and (knock on wood) it's getting a bit more manageable.  I'm learning what makes him tick a bit and what works.

Having #2 will cause a ripple, but it will go back to normal.

• Thanks for the support everyone!  We'll get there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"