Pre-School and Daycare

why is my extremely verbal 3.5 yo suddenly regressing?

DD has started just motioning frantically for things and/or asking very, very quietly for things she 100% knows the words for and has previously asked about.  This morning, she wet her bed while she was getting dressed and instead of just telling me she had an accident, she just flapped her hand at the bed and kept looking at me.  What is up w/ that?  She did the same thing last night at dinner - she wanted another napkin and instead of just asking for one, she just flapped her hand/pointed, etc. 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: why is my extremely verbal 3.5 yo suddenly regressing?

• Just 2 days? Sounds like she's playing a bit.

Beyond that, are there any big changes in her life?

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • @ livinitup - nothing new's happening, same school/teacher, nothing new w/ me or DH

@ lasposa - yeah, maybe its a self-awareness/embarrassment thing.  That seems sort of age-appropriate.

• Loading the player...
  • DD does this for fun, she knows some sign language so uses that but if she doesn't know the sign she just makes something up or gestures frantically. (She's 4.5 for reference).
    you
    I miss you lite-brite!
  • Has there been any other changes for her? Is she different socially; acting out? Has she stopped being as affectionate; withdrawing,  or is it just her words that have changed?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRaeAnt:
    Has there been any other changes for her? Is she different socially; acting out? Has she stopped being as affectionate; withdrawing,  or is it just her words that have changed?

no, no - she's still chatty as heck about what she wants and appropriately affectionate, etc.  She's just pretending she's a baby/can't talk at certain times. 

• She's just playing! And my DD used to get very embarrassed about having accidents and would never want to say it, either. No worries, mama!
  • imageKathrynMD:

imageRaeAnt:
    Has there been any other changes for her? Is she different socially; acting out? Has she stopped being as affectionate; withdrawing,  or is it just her words that have changed?

no, no - she's still chatty as heck about what she wants and appropriately affectionate, etc.  She's just pretending she's a baby/can't talk at certain times. 

DS has been doing this too. He will use one word to ask for something sometimes, like "milk" and point toward the kitchen, etc. I'm not sure why, he talks in full sentences 99% of the time.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My daughter went through a phase when she was around that age where she would often use baby talk.  It drove me nuts.  I would tell her that I would respond to her when she used big girl words. 

I think that the embarrassment suggestion could be accurate too.  DD would get really quiet or not use words appropriately when she was embarrassed or shy about asking for something.  

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Strange my 3 year old just started this baby talk thing a few days ago. I can't stand it but thought it was because #2 will be here in a few weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • She may be picking it up from someone in her preschool/daycare.
  • My DD LOVES the show Max & Ruby.  Unfortunately, she has started copying Max in that she will say one word constantly.  Like, if she wants to eat, she follows me around and says, "Hungry!"  and nothing else.  Drives me nuts.  It likely that your DD is copying the behavior from something/someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"