Military Families
Options

pregnant with older kids, moving to Korea

We have older children, 13,11 and 8 and I am 24 weeks pregnant. We are also scheduled to leave for Korea in October but that was moved up due to the pregnancy to May... now we have no clue if we will be leaving before my "no fly" period gets here or not. As of now they are telling us that it will be between May and Oct, not good. The trips is an estimated 22 hour flight, which is already horrible with kids, but having a newborn just seems like a nightmare. Then I was told (not by a dr, but by someone who experienced it) that the baby couldnt fly no earlier than 3 months due to the ears popping and causing permanent hearing loss...ugh

Re: pregnant with older kids, moving to Korea

• Options

I don't have any suggestions for getting the military to give you a definite date...it will happen when it's best for them, not you unfortunately.

As far as flying with an infant...I've never heard concern over their ears and the pressure.  The biggest concern is the lack of immunization they have at that time and being in such close quarters for so long with people who can be carrying any number of illness.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Newborns are super easy on flights. They sleep all the time. The ear popping thing is BS. Just nurse or give a bottle at take off and landing. Now, a 22 hour flight with a 6 month old who is just learning to move around and wants to practice all.the.time, and is starting get get particular about where they sleep? That sounds like torture. But a newborn, much easier. 

SgtM'sWife is right about the date. There really isn't anything you can do there.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I flew with my Monkey when she was only 6 weeks old. No ear bursting or hearing loss.  

I would much rather fly with a baby, especially when all you need to do is put a boob or bottle in his/her mouth.

And where are you flying from that Korea is going to take you 22 hours? I flew from Norfolk, VA and it only took me 18 hours with one stop. Can't you get a nonstop?

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    from seattle to korea was a 13 hour flight. my yongest was 4 months old when we flew and he slept the whole time

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Where are you headed in Korea? I know command sponsorship is on hold right now in some locations, due to over crowding, so that may account for the sketchy date. Honestly, the flights aren't bad. You shouldn't have a 22 hour flight. I flew from DC on the way over and it took 16hrs. On the way back, I flew (with a 6month old) into San Fran. and it was 13 hrs. Try to get a non-stop flight. Also, if you can, fly at night. It's much easier, less airport traffic, and if you stay awake for most of the flight, will help you get adjusted to the time zone easier.

With regards to the baby, depending on where you are headed in Korea, they may not have a place for you to give birth on post. I was in Area I and had to travel at 38 weeks to a post in Area II to give birth at an American Hospital on post. If I hadn't done that, I would have given birth in a Korean hospital. From what I've heard and experienced, they are NOT pain management friendly, not to mention the language barrier. Just be prepared for that, if you get over there in time.

• Options
    My daughter flew when she was 2.5 weeks old.. she slept the whole time :)
  • Options
    imagepanicked228:

Where are you headed in Korea? I know command sponsorship is on hold right now in some locations, due to over crowding, so that may account for the sketchy date. Honestly, the flights aren't bad. You shouldn't have a 22 hour flight. I flew from DC on the way over and it took 16hrs. On the way back, I flew (with a 6month old) into San Fran. and it was 13 hrs. Try to get a non-stop flight. Also, if you can, fly at night. It's much easier, less airport traffic, and if you stay awake for most of the flight, will help you get adjusted to the time zone easier.

With regards to the baby, depending on where you are headed in Korea, they may not have a place for you to give birth on post. I was in Area I and had to travel at 38 weeks to a post in Area II to give birth at an American Hospital on post. If I hadn't done that, I would have given birth in a Korean hospital. From what I've heard and experienced, they are NOT pain management friendly, not to mention the language barrier. Just be prepared for that, if you get over there in time.

I just wanted to say that this is not totally correct.  I knew many people who had babies in Area 1, 2, and 3 at Korean hosptials and they had epi's and other pain meds.  Also you are given an interperator that stays with you. 

Also command sponsorship is open, but its up to each command now instead of Area.  Each command is given a certain number of slots, the longer you are in Korea (say orders are for 2-3 years) your chances are better.  Right now average wait time is about 3-8 weeks, and thats if things are not "lost"

There is a facebook group called Camp Humphreys Spouses (or something very sim.) I would link it but my facebook is being stupid. They have a document section about everything and anything about Korea and if its not there you can always ask.

Here got it to work

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/293387083147/

• Options
    imageMallardDucky:
    imagepanicked228:

I just wanted to say that this is not totally correct.  I knew many people who had babies in Area 1, 2, and 3 at Korean hosptials and they had epi's and other pain meds.  Also you are given an interperator that stays with you. 

Also command sponsorship is open, but its up to each command now instead of Area.  Each command is given a certain number of slots, the longer you are in Korea (say orders are for 2-3 years) your chances are better.  Right now average wait time is about 3-8 weeks, and thats if things are not "lost"

There is a facebook group called Camp Humphreys Spouses (or something very sim.) I would link it but my facebook is being stupid. They have a document section about everything and anything about Korea and if its not there you can always ask.

Here got it to work

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/293387083147/

I know many people who had babies at the Korean hospitals, although in Area I only. The hospitals where they delivered only had anesthesiologists there from 9-5. Off hours, they were only available for true emergencies.

Also, command sponsorship approval times does vary widely depending on post, command, and MOS. I have friends who have been waiting 6 months or more. The further south you are, the easier it seems to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"